• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Reviving plants

Garuf

After my unexpected week long black caused by a blow bulb I now have a tank of somewhat melty plants.
Mainly Hair Grass eleocharis acciularis.
I've had light for a few days and nothing is showing any sign of perking up, does anyone have any experiance with reviving plants? I can't really afford to replace the hair grass nor do I think I have the will to have to replant another batch of plants.

Should I keep dosing normally (EI) or should I modify dosing and hope for the best?

Hi Garuf,
Yes, definitely keep dosing. Now is the time for all good men to implement MAX dosing. Make sure you have PLENTY of CO2. It will probably take about 3 weeks for recovery. If there are any green strands with roots those strands will recover. Make sure you hack away and remove whatever has obviously decayed and make sure you do frequent water changes if possible - decay means ammonia which in turn means algae. Some individual specimens may be lost but that's how it goes.

I have some assorted stems sitting around if you want. PM me if want some. Don't know if they will fit with you scape but you've got to build up biomass in the tank again.

Cheers,

dscf0516sp2.jpg

There's the damage Ceg.
Its pretty bad as I'm sure you can tell.

my own experiences are that hairgrass is actually surprisingly able to recover if given the opportunity and so long as theres something left,

The dwarf species seem alot tougher than the taller ones.

I lost my first lot mainly due to insufficient lighting, however i salvaged enough to replant one tank by doing the following:
I pulled some groups of plants up and let them float as you would a new group of plants.
Floating at the top of the tank they soon put out new shoots and when there were a few nice ones i replanted.

coincidentaly some of the other groups of plants put out new shoots also, though those i left floating produced alot more, and significantky faster.

I didnt change my ferts or CO2.

Its taken a while but some of mycarpet is being restored now. I guess it depends on how patient you are becuase if you want to get your carpet back in a hurry then buying some new plants or begging some off another enthusiast may be faster.

marc

Yep, agree with marc. Unless you find a hairgrass donor patience will have suffice. :)

The others don't look too bad though. They are still green so they won't have any difficulty.

Cheers,

Hello, marc. I see you took my advice. ;)
I'll just keep ontop of dosing, try and remove the dead bits (?) and hope for the best.
I might just get some E parva from greenline if it doesn't pick up within a month.

i couldnt turn down a polite invite now could i?

To be honest id leave it be.

I tried removing dead strands but more often than not i would uproat the whole clump, so other than the bits i floated, i left it alone.

marc

Makes sense, hair grass Is as bad as HC for becoming uprooted.
I hope you enjoy UKAPS and find it a enjoyable and informative place to visit.

Ray said:
Can you mow it, like real grass? If the roots are established will they soon put up new shoots if you trim it off low?

This works well in most circumstances. Pruning generally stimulates new growth.

Garuf - I would dose EI, good CO2 and change 50% water 3x per week to help deal with potential algae caused by poorly plants leeching NH4.

Back