• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rheophytic orchid Borneo

zozo

Crepidium damusicum is the rheophytic orchid that grows so closed to water edge!!! Amazing! (jungle stream of northern Borneo).

aroid2-orchid0311.jpg

adv10-sabah23032015.jpg

No idea yet Neil.. :).. I guess very difficultly..

Found it's synonym Malaxis which points again to the Adder's mouth Bog Orchid (M. Paludosa), which is a common european bog orchid.. Well common is a great word it's population is declining. But it might be one easier to find.. Funny how you role from one pudlle into another, actualy didn't know about a european bog orchid till now.. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammarbya

Quite a few 644 sp. of malaxis might be e few more wetland orchids around.
http://www.plantsystematics.org/cgi-bin/dol/dol_terminal.pl?genus=Malaxis

Last edited:
I really like the leaf shape on the Crepidium damusicum. The European one's are different.
Thanks for the info ;).

Indeed it's a very nice plant, probably yet the only one found living under these conditions.. And all other bog orchids go into dormancy.. Not sure about the tropical ones, but there are not so much of them in the trade.. The best options we have till now so far i know are the smaller epiphytic bulbophyllum sp. I have (had one) bulbophyllum taiwanese was the smallest i could find, planted it above the tank on some DW, but it did't like the move and lost all it's leaves. I moved it in the wrong periode, shouldn't have done that. I don't know if any of the bulbs survived and commes back..

While back, now nothing left.. :(
DSCF6233 (Kopie).JPG

Ive been sent one before but it didn't travel well due to a delay caused by paperwork errors :(

Borneo :p
I will be trying a single one again but they aren't sure how it will travel as it's not the usual thing they send

I wrote an e-mail to Araflora, as far as i know Netherlands largest exotic plant collector/importer. Bought some rare excotics from them before.. :) Thier collection is huge..
They also have a wanted list in their webshop and always intrested in new species.. So dropped them a line with the question if there are possibilies to obtain a spiecimen via their channels.

Fingers crossed..

http://www.araflora.com/

Currently have a few people keeping an eye out for me so hopefully soon I'll have a couple :)

Hopefully.. :) Gert from Araflora was very interested in this plan and contacted exporting nurseries from Indonesia and Malaysia but officialy it's not yet cultivated nor exported. Our only chances are local private contacts..

One of my guys is reluctant to touch it. It's a perfectly legitimate export but a lot of orchids are protected where he is from so he normally leaves well alone. I'll grab an extra for you if anyone comes through. Got some cool ferns coming next week. Hopefully they travel well :)

Wow! Thanks @mr. luke that would be awsome.. I thought so as well it would be legal because i didn't see this plant on the red list. But i know in my country red list or not officialy it's forbidden to take flora and fauna from nature reserves without special permit. It's not even alowed to gather deadwood..Fish need to be a certain size or need to be put back. it's all under the poaching law. Now i gathered almost all my garden ferns from the forrest, where they grow in abundancy, but i still need to be carefull. I could be in big trouble if the wrong one catches me doing this. Poaching fine is a rather serious one. So i can imagine someone beeing reluctant pulling plants out on a hike, i guess it's everywhere the same only the punnishment will be different, i wouldn't like to know what it is in Borneo. Hung by the feet above an ant nest?? :lol:

I hope your ferns make it? Very curious what ou got comming.. :) Can we expect any pics?

Awsome, can't wait! I'll cross my fingers for you, hopefully they make it in good order.. :)
In a way when it comes to biotopes i was always more drawn to SE-Asia with Borneo as favorite. Had several smaller highland Nepethes shipped over from a German importer, but they just are to darn difficult and to expensive to fool around with. Those islands are just so unique in bio diversity it's mind bogglin.. :)

Ps.. Darn i have to ask that German guy, high might get his hands on that orchid.. Why didn't i think of that sooner.
https://www.wistuba.com/

Back