• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rhinocerous

20042208265027286.jpg

Graou ! :D

Filling in nicely!

Looks great to me, thought this was a great concept from day 1.

peely wally
I cannot believe I've just read this. My girlfriend and her mum used it all the time and I'd never heard it before, she'll be delighted to know it's been used on an aquascaping forum. I just hope she doesn't start using it to describe my scapes :nailbiting:

I got a like from Dave Chow😀
Time to turn pro.
:) thats what the page is about, get your scapes out there, if you have a Facebook account like the UKAPS page and send me your FB name and I can tag it on the post too!

Decided id had enough of the heteranthera zosterfolia, it was more hassle than its worth.

So ripped out a load of emersed crpyts from https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/project-p.52159/ (which just had a massive trim as it was going mouldy!) , chopped the leaves off and stuck in all the bits of tuber. Fingers crossed!
20200621_195951.jpg

Trying to give this scape some attention after letting it slide for a while.

Planted some crypt crispulata, yikes first time in ages I've had full melt, just the whole thing soggy and rotten within 5 days. Depressing.

They were in vitro and looked a bit off, lots of leaf, but no root. If that normal for in vitro crypts? Not used them before.

In my experience moving or planting crypts almost always means all the leaves melt and rot. I just cut off all the leaves before planting, it will all regrow fast from the roots. They can deal with being cut off just fine.

Small correction on that: Crypt parva is the only exception that I have had this far :) Those havent melted (for me at least).

Trying to give this scape some attention after letting it slide for a while.

Planted some crypt crispulata, yikes first time in ages I've had full melt, just the whole thing soggy and rotten within 5 days. Depressing.

They were in vitro and looked a bit off, lots of leaf, but no root. If that normal for in vitro crypts? Not used them before.
When I planted my crypt pygmea in vitro all the leaves melted, I was advised by @dw1305 that it was best not to cut the leaves off before planting as there is no root system on in vitro plants. They all melted and grew back nice and healthy so it sounds like yours will be fine. Mine went really mushy and completely disintegrated.

Hi all,
I was advised by @dw1305 that it was best not to cut the leaves off before planting as there is no root system on in vitro plants.
Yes, I think that is right. I haven't actually bought any in vitro plants, but I would definitely plant in vitro Cryptocoryne spp. with as much leaf as possible, because they don't have <"much in the way of rhizome"> to fall back on.

cryptocoryne_pon022_zps7813bf63-jpg-jpg.jpg

This is a species (C. pontederiifolia or possibly C. moehlmannii ) that spreads via <"long "guerilla" rhizomes">, you can see the rhizome (a modified stem) coming in from the right (C. crispatula does this as well), but other more "tufted" (phalanx) species (like C. parva and C. x willisii) with have a much shorter, stockier rhizomes.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back