• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rhinocerous

I've been working to get this tank back on track. Went to twice weekly water changes and did 3 mists of the BBA covered anubias and buce with a glute solution which has worked well. Tried the same trick on the bolbitis which destroyed the leaves. Live and learn.

Moved round stuff at the front as the crypts I had just weren't growing and i wanted attempt to stop soil slupping forward (failed).

The back is still work in progress. I planted quite a few crypt usteriana which immediately melted and have thrown up a few small new leaves. I think I need patience as I've had this plant in the past and it has sat doing nothing for months then suddenly taken off. Also planted some juncus repens which seems to be growing but quite slow.

All a bit frustrating really. Kind of feels like the tank just ran out of steam and now I'm trying to drag it back.

20201031_181433.jpg

I'm currently contemplating a rescape of this tank.
In the meantime I've done a bit of an experiment and changed the return pump to something with about double the flow and added a full length spray bar.
It's big grey and ugly, but... I think it probably significantly improves circulation round the tank.

The sump is now just trying to settle into the higher turnover, occassionally doing the full toilet flush routine.

All in the spirit of experimentation.

20210104_164732.jpg

So i bought a Twinstar 900e from the classifieds before Xmas, only to discover it didn't actually fit a 900mm tank with 8mm glass.

I attempted various bodges, during one of said bodges the light fell off the tank and snapped off one of the legs.

I eventually called AG who had a spare, but it arrived and it was wider with screw holes in different places. Sod it, so I drilled new holes and hacksawed off the additional width.

And now I have the whole thing resting on plastic tank cover holders.

It's all about the aesthetics and the sleek aquascaping look for me...

And the wife says she preferred the rendition of the old light.

I did walk home with a rucksack full of rocks as my wife and kids called me an idiot.
I can’t belive you’ve not outfitted each kid with rucksacks you can fill with interesting finds!

Haven’t looked in awhile
I planted quite a few crypt usteriana which immediately melted and have thrown up a few small new leaves.
Nice to have company ;)
Though I left some for a year, and only ever had a few short, stunted leafs (finally removed it though I’m convinced that if I just focused sufficiently I’d sort out how to grow this ... except too lazy :rolleyes: )

If you siphon out that soil at left, and replace with sand again, that corner will look better
Filipe Oliveira discusses this in the AquaFlora competition tank analyses (I can link the video once my ISP stops being such a #$@&%*!?)

Well done :)

I grew usteriana in my my old low tech tank qnd it is really nice. In this tank i cam still see it sat there, and inch long, doing nothing. Ive just planted over it.

I will siphon the soil at some point, it needs some remedial action to stop more slipping forward though. And so far I not mustered the enthusiasm. Maybe this week.

With some reservations i have properly installed the Twinstar.

To the eye it is clearly brighter. My nervousness is because the tank is on the up generally, and a new light could throw everything off.

But the front of the tank is quite dark with the old light and as a result growth has always been poor. The wood obviously casts a shadow.

So, fingers cross an algae disaster does not follow. If it does, well it'll be character building.

Nearly a week into the new light and touch wood all seems ok for the most part. I think the buce may be getting a bit of bba round the leaf edge, but it could also be that what was already there is more apparent. Watching new growth to see how it fares.

The h. Zosterefolia is romping away. All that's in the tank has generated from a single stem that survived a cull months ago.
Plants are pearling madly. Feel like the big tank has gone proper high tech now. Long way from how I started it!
20210214_210804.jpg

So i bought a Twinstar 900e from the classifieds before Xmas, only to discover it didn't actually fit a 900mm tank with 8mm glass.

I attempted various bodges, during one of said bodges the light fell off the tank and snapped off one of the legs.

I eventually called AG who had a spare, but it arrived and it was wider with screw holes in different places. Sod it, so I drilled new holes and hacksawed off the additional width.

And now I have the whole thing resting on plastic tank cover holders.

It's all about the aesthetics and the sleek aquascaping look for me...

And the wife says she preferred the rendition of the old light.
Hi, I’ve got one of these lights and have just sat it on my ea900 with 10mm glass. It doesn’t fit flush by any means and has me nervous. My 600e fits my ea600 tank perfectly and I bought the same unit for the 900 as I like the light and colour rendition. I have measured the outer dimensions of the top of the light and it is only 890mm. Could you measure your unit across the top including the acrylic and see if it is also 890mm please?
Thanks.
Ady.

I agree with that. I started this thread a while back, but didn't feel we really got to an answer.

I agree with that. I started this thread a while back, but didn't feel we really got to an answer.
Great thread 👍

Back