• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rhododendron

ted31

Seedling
Is rhododendron dead wood safe for an aquarium scape?

Hi all,
I always thought spiderwood were the roots of a Rhodondendron
I don't know, it could well be, the problem would be that there are a huge range of Rhododendron species that occur all the way from Alaska around to Papua New Guinea. Some produce nectar that is toxic to bees, some don't etc.

There is other wood from the Ericaceous plants people use like "Manzanita" (Arctostaphylos manzanita), Heather (Calluna vulgaris) etc. I've added Pieris and Azalea leaves to the tanks with-out any problem.

cheers Darrel

Well its that or a plentiful supply of beechwood. Just love the branching of rhodadendron

Hi all,
Well its that or a plentiful supply of beechwood. Just love the branching of rhodadendron
Beech (Fagus sylvatica) is fine.

I would be even more wary of using Rhododendron wood, rather than root, as any toxic compounds are likely to be at a higher level in the photosynthetic portions of the plant.

If we are talking "wild" Rhododendron ponticum, <"I'd definitely avoid it.">.

I don't know where you are located, but if you have access to Heather (Calluna vulgaris), old stems are good, and I've used old Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) roots from cut over forestry.

cheers Darrel

Hi everybody,

That is a funny coincidence: I collected a few rhododendron leaves while visiting Westonbirt arboretum last week and I was going to ask on the forum if it's safe using them in the tank but I guess I've got the answer now...
Oh well, I'll put them in the fire then
Cheers,
Manu

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hi all,
visiting Westonbirt arboretum last week
If you go back Camellia leaves are OK (the plants are mainly just at the back of the "Great Oak Hall"), and deciduous Magnolia leaves are skeletonize brilliantly, but they don't last very long. If you walk around the "loop walk" there are plenty of trees of Magnolia sprengeri etc.

cheers Darrel

Azaelia Root is interesting with it tangling thin ends, good for biotope set ups.Shops that supply Aqua-ONE range stock it

Azaelia Root is interesting with it tangling thin ends, good for biotope set ups
I still have one piece i will use for a biotope setup, was waiting to see if a suitable tank passes by, otherwise i'll order one eventually.

Hi all, If you go back Camellia leaves are OK (the plants are mainly just at the back of the "Great Oak Hall"), and deciduous Magnolia leaves are skeletonize brilliantly, but they don't last very long. If you walk around the "loop walk" there are plenty of trees of Magnolia sprengeri etc.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the tip
What about magnolia leaves?
(sorry for hijacking the thread )

Sorry, I just realised that I missed what you mentioned about the magnolia leaves...

Cheers,
Manu

Hi all,
What about magnolia leaves?
Dead evergreen Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) leaves make really good structural leaf litter for <"Apistogramma"> etc. They last much longer than most leaves. They use them for <"Dart Frogs">, so I thought they would be OK, and I've used them a lot (I have access to a tree where I work).

cheers Darrel

Back