• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rhynox 5000 Diffuser

Aeropars

Hi Guys,

I've had it with my aquamas inline reactor as it appears i dont have enough flow from my filter to power this big thing to its potential. As a consiquence I cant get my levels of CO2 anywhere near to the point where fish would be gasping at the surface which I've done so many times before.

So i'm thinking of going for the Rhynox 5000. I hear people using the 2000 and having great results but nothing of the 5000. does anyone have any comments on this? Its very appealing at £15 delivered from Aquatic Magic.

I'd most likely put this below the filter inlet to get the best diffusion possible as I'm wasting such a lot of CO2 in my current setup.

Any thoughts apreciated guys.

Lee

The Rhinox 5000 is big. I bought one from AM, seeing as the price was so cheap! Unfortunately I think I got a bad one. It produces some fine mist, but some larger bubbles (not massive, but not very misty). I've stopped using it as it didn't seem to work too well.

I think it was just a bad one. I've just ordered 2 Rhinox 1000 from AE so fingers crossed on those ;)

How big is your tank?

I wouldn't spend the extra money on a 5000. I'm using a nano diffuser on my 4ft 250lt tank and it works fine. I think the whole diffuser rating is misleading personally. I've seen a 5000 working and bubbles were only coming from around 20% of the surface of the ceramic disk, which means the other bit is a waste. They are also chuffing huge. You can barely see the nano diffuser in my 4ft tank. If you want, get the 1000 or 2000 but there is no need for a 5000 on any home tank as far as I can tell.

Sam

Is Rhynox actually a brand name, or does it just mean a generic diffuser?

I got a 2000 from a reputable dealer, and it came in a plain ziploc bag, with no branding on the diffuser itself. The knob to put a sucker on broke off the first time I tried to use it. It works OK, but the bubbles aren't as fine as i expected.

Mark

Not sure but I think 'Rhinox' may have been what the original ones were called and these days everyone who copies the same design calls them Rhinox.

I bought a 2000 from Aquatic Magic a couple of years ago and whist like Sam says the bubbles only come from half of the disc it still sends the DC the correct colour as long as the circulation is OK.

People seem to take the 'mist' thing too literally. You will get 'mist' which almost looks like smoke for a couple of hours after a bleach clean but then it will return to 'microbubbles'.

Forget the pictures you see in the adverts of ridiculous amounts of bubbles coming from the whole disc. These will be achieved through brand new clean diffusers with the bps at dangerous to fish levels to achieve as much output as possible.

Agree with Sam though. Ignore the suggested tank sizes. On my 125 the Rhinox 2000 isn't needed. A Nano diffuser works just as well, is smaller and because of the smaller disc/higher pressure with the same bps as with the 2000 it will then be 'forced' to use the whole disc.

In summary go a size smaller than recommended and if not achieving desired results do not assume its the diffuser problem. circulation is very important with the microbubbles technique otherwise too much hits the surface without diffusion. And if the bubbles are relatively small then the diffuser is working correctly. If you want them smaller then you need something other than a glass diffuser (I use a powerhead with a modified impellor (DIY needlewheel) to chop the bubbles further. The powerhead also then blasts the microbubbles around the tank.

AC

Im getting tempted with a JBL vario unit there about 18 quid and look ok and can be hidden. Good thing is there expandable at a cheap price and could be hidden with some tall plants....

Behold said:
Im getting tempted with a JBL vario unit there about 18 quid and look ok and can be hidden. Good thing is there expandable at a cheap price and could be hidden with some tall plants....

Yeah, if you're happy to hide it. The difficulty is getting it hidden, but still having a good flow of water past/through it to carry the CO2 to the rest of the aquarium. I'm sure you'll work something out. I'm fed up with ceramic diffusers, but my tank is very small, I couldn't put that in it. Thinking I should perhaps go for something external.

Mark

I found my rhynox to be very tough, At the last water change, i managed to drop it in the sink :eek: looked down expecting to see it bit's but thankfully in one piece :D

Thanks guys.

My tanks a 180l and i think I oversized on the Aquamas reactor to the point the filter cant push through enough water. When i up the co2 i get large gas build up and the water through it slashes large bubbles out the filter whih doesnt give great diffusion.

Back