• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Riccardia chamedryfolia - crushed during delivery

Simon Cole

Hello everyone,

I ordered some Riccardia chamedryfolia (aka coral moss) and it was sent in an unprotected envelope, which became flattened. I am worried that it is a very fragile liverwort, and that the broken bits will simply rot. I was going to push it between rocks and pin in into the substrate. Considering that some of the leaves could die away, would it be better to grow most of it on a mesh or something? Also do you know how easily it would attach to mesh, rocks etc? I presumed that it grew from lower centralised rhizoids, and would have difficulty producing them from individual leaves further up each plant.

All ideas gratefully received.

The first and last time i grew it, that was in a high tech setup, it grew rather well but it rather branches out in all directions in a coral like ffashion living up to its name. It doesn't easily spread over the hardscape by itself. And than it is also rather fragile and breaks off easily.

My best guess it isn't truly an aquatic moss. If you like to have areas of hardscape covered with it, i would definitively dry start it to make it spread over the desired area . Once it has done this and the tank is flooded it can be easlily manicured into shape.

Making it spread over hardscape submersed from tiny bits, i doubt it is possible and if so it might take an awfull long time.

Here you see a picture of it in its true habbitat.. Wett but rather emersed. Not realy resambling coral.. More looking like a fat Ricia..
Riccardia%20chamedryfolia_49488375264.jpg

In our language its common name also is Common Little Bog Fork. :) Submersed it elongates and grows narrower.

https://rbg-web2.rbge.org.uk/bbs/activities/liverworts/Riccardia chamedryfolia-multifida.pdf

Last edited:
Hi
Other than pain to position there is nothing wrong with it.It grows well low tech for me and I have different experience than zozo with it.It covered my hardscape completely on its own and I haven't trimmed once.U can try dry starting it .What U can do is take plastic container with lid or clingfilm over it,put some small lava rock( i do anything between 1-5cm size ) in it then put the Riccardia on them put some water on bottom of tub to keep rock moist and humidity high and wait few weeks to get hold in good light.Then put stones in tank where U want them. I usually make few holes with needle for air exchange too so I dont have to open every day.U may need a heat source for temperature this time of year.It attaches to anything including plastic and other plants.
Regards Konsa

Hi
Other than pain to position there is nothing wrong with it.It grows well low tech for me and I have different experience than zozo with it.It covered my hardscape completely on its own and I haven't trimmed once.U can try dry starting it .What U can do is take plastic container with lid or clingfilm over it,put some small lava rock( i do anything between 1-5cm size ) in it then put the Riccardia on them put some water on bottom of tub to keep rock moist and humidity high and wait few weeks to get hold in good light.Then put stones in tank where U want them. I usually make few holes with needle for air exchange too so I dont have to open every day.U may need a heat source for temperature this time of year.It attaches to anything including plastic and other plants.
Regards Konsa

Awesome idea. I'll do that and stick them on a rack in my emersed grow tub. I'll also put a few in the tank now to see what happens. I've got quite a bit.

Hi
The one U put on the stones U can even chop more so it is in contact in more spots and covers better the stones.
Regards Konsa

Hi Simon
when I got it emmersed was summer and the temp was arround 22°C ish
Even if U dont see strong growth.Its a slow grower.Dont worry.U want it to get hold to the rock more than anything.It will grow later in tank.
Regards Konsa

I find it doesn’t want to attach to anything.

I glue it. The underneath dies off within a month and the ‘cushion freely floats up!

I’d suggest tieing it to a piece of wood or stone initially. Let it grow on. Once you are happy cut it into slices, then attach it to wherever you want.
Loves high light so the higher in the tank the better. Spread it out. Within a few months lovely pillows of the. Stuff!

Like most plants 22 - 24 degrees. The cooler side the better.

Cool. I think I've got it sorted. I'll tie it to some rocks and start some of them emersed as a back up. Thanks for the advise.

paint on hardscape and dry-start - then it seems to attach very well

Check Jurijs mit JS FB page for some fairly detailed photos and video shorts

https://m.facebook.com/J.Jurijs/

29790003_1561886993932450_8573628168840151040_o.jpg

chop, mix with Aquarium Soil and small amount water - paint perfect :p

Back