• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Richards First Scape

Was thinking I could get some nano fish instead like any of these three. If I replaced with the glass catfish and took a female Apisto back. Would leave with 76cm total, leaving 44 spare?

Threadfin raindbowfish
Danio erythromicron
Danio margaritatus

4AF6AB40-F26A-4F81-ABCD-C948C69F5CBB.jpeg
07B6511E-4B83-4AD0-843E-523969ED0359.jpeg
77B7B67F-EFE2-4157-8A35-469B46DBE32B.jpeg
Update on the tank, been doing two 50% water changes a week.

Has some brown algae on the glass and glass inlet and outlet pipes. I’ve been wiping this off the glass every day and off the pipes every couple of weeks.

Also some green algae on my Anubias.

Reverted back to dosing with Ei products instead of TNC complete, Macro and Micro dosing alternate days for 6 days a week. Started doing this last weekend.

Had been 6 weeks since the Twinstar was on so that was moved to 60% on the 20th March.

Also finding it stressful doing the water changes. I’m fine getting the water out as I’m using a hose pipe and inset pipe. I then dose with Prime straight into the tank.

When I’m putting the water back in I’ve the hosepipe locked to my tap in the kitchen, and at the other end the inset pipe. I’m having to run the water, rush into the back room and start filling up a bucket to make sure the temp is ok, I’m getting it to 24 degrees. It’s total guess work.
Once I’ve got the temp ok, I’m letting the water back into the tank via a colander so it doesn’t disturb the tank.

If there is anything I could do better to help the putting the water back in easier I’d like to know. Maybe a stop tap?

I’m really considering buying an Aquascaper 900 and changing over but worried about setting it up.
I’d have to set it up with fish in again rather than on its own as I don’t have two filters.

It’s a much better tank, I could use the plants I already have, driftwood and substrate. Would obviously need more as it’s a bigger tank.

Really unsure

Hi all, bit of an update on my scape. Trimmed my plants at the back right down, noticed a lot of the leaves were showing green spots or wasting away and some of the tips of the ferns are looking a different colour as if dying or have green spots. This must be something I can address so thought I’d ask for advice to get them green again. I’ve pulled as many leaves off that were green including the ferns.

Since I noticed this I’ve been doing 75% water changes every 3 days, this is only the second one I’ve done in 6 days so far. I’ve been dosing Ei ferts, micro one day and macro another day to their letter of law what they send out to you. It’s 23ml daily.

Maybe the leaves aren’t getting enough CO2, I’m not sure but sure someone will help clear it up. CO2 is coming on at 12, lights on at 3.15 till 10. Drop checker is lime green by 3.15/3.20 and stays that way until 10. So 7 hours and Twinstar is at 70%.

I have my neo diffuser on the left side of the tank, and the glass outlet lily pipe at the other side in the middle. Circulation via the Oase is at least three quarters flow. Lots of the bubbles are reaching the surface and staying there on the left hand side.

I still have slightly too many fish in there but can’t do anything about that at the moment. Currently at 36 until I can take 11 back.

Feeding wise Mon, Wed, Fri is either flake or pellet and a Plec pellet for two minutes. Tues and Thurs one block of frozen live food. Sat and Sun I don’t feed them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 7CAD4FAA-E447-4A25-8BC3-6F6066421F81.jpeg
    7CAD4FAA-E447-4A25-8BC3-6F6066421F81.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 85
  • FB043B7A-D171-4BF7-B151-EE47CE1834DA.jpeg
    FB043B7A-D171-4BF7-B151-EE47CE1834DA.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 83
  • CE54D4A3-0FD0-4420-9BE3-F6464AD0697D.jpeg
    CE54D4A3-0FD0-4420-9BE3-F6464AD0697D.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 86
So update for my first scape. Took the Seiryu stone out and replaced with Staurogyne Repens to act as a boundary between Eliocharis Mini and the piece of driftwood. After cutting down the Limnophila Hippuiroides they are starting to turn a nice red colour.

I replanted my crpyts and added some Helanthium Quadricostatus and Ludwigia Rubens Red. Lastly, I took all of my Eliocharis up as I’d planted it way too thick and this wasn’t giving the runners enough space and all competing with each other so it was growing but not as fast as it should be. Re planted it with more space and less of it, so hoping now the CO2 is stable that this spreads and a lot quicker.

I added some zebra nerites in and although they have left some small white eggs on the driftwood, they have done an amazing job cleaning up. Also, I added another 5 amano’s taking them up to 9.

I will add a couple of pictures of the tank later when the lights are on.

I did two weeks of 70% water changes every 3 days as had quite a bit of Green and Brown algae. I added a Twinstar Steriliser as well to help combat this and added some Seachem Purigen into the filter. I moved to two 50% water changes which I’m in the first week off at the moment. I will be doing another week doing this and maybe then move to one.

Found the water changes miles easier using an Oase water pump to get the water back in, I use George Farmers method using a bucket and dosing the water before it gets put back in and this is far easier. I was really struggling with this using a hose pipe straight form my tap and finding the water was changing temp mid water change and therefore causing stress to the fish.

It’s been a huge learning curve for me, regarding planting, lighting, planting locations, water quality, maintenance, water changes, additional sunlight and light from the room (which I think caused the green algae and BBA). A lot of which I’d have been stuck if it wasn’t for this forum. So I thank everyone for all their help as the plants now seem to be growing well and some great plant growth. I guess it didn’t help it was a rescape and I had to do this when all the fish were present.

Lighting is at 60% and on between 4.15 and 10.15 so only 6 hours. I’m unsure if I should up this at all now the CO2 has been stable for over a week. I have read that every 5 days to up the percentage and over a period of 4 weeks move the photo period up to 8 hours. Something I’m still unsure of.

It’s made my passion for scaping even more so and has led to me also creating my second scape in a 60P tank at the moment and hoping to do the hardscape and planting having learnt a lot from my mistakes, feedback on here and reading peoples journals or questions and also from watching videos on YouTube during lockdown.

I think to where I’ve come starting with a BIORB (yes massive mistake) a few years ago, to a decent starter tank the Aqua One Nano which I have now, to upgrading for a wedding present to myself an Aquascaper 1200 next year (Already cleared it with the missus).

I’ll leave you with a couple of pics of my Male and female Apistogramma Borelli. Well proud of these. I’m still overstocked and need to either sell or return 8 glass catfish and two female apistogramma as I’ve one Male and 3 females (very lucky guy). Once those numbers are down I think I can leave the tank to grow and just wait to transfer them to the 1200. Another thing I’ve learnt, less is more and again this is from feedback on here. It’s easy to get carried away creating a community tank and seeing different colours of fish or fish for different levels of the tank but sticking to just a few species makes the tank a lot healthier and also the fish. All in all a lot of lessons learnt, and that’s coming from a teacher.

Attachments

• 5E727413-BE9F-4B7F-BDB1-2D26512754F0.png
    5E727413-BE9F-4B7F-BDB1-2D26512754F0.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 89
  • 64B44C9C-3072-4D1C-A2AE-CFBA228F9C4C.jpeg
    64B44C9C-3072-4D1C-A2AE-CFBA228F9C4C.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Back