• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ride on Lawn Mowers - Flood pics

Respect for knowingly taking that house on. Would love to see the outcome of your basement spreadsheet and measurements. Hopefully it remains worth it for the fabulous location!
well I used the Govs website for flooding used their data from nearest measuring station upstream and the one above plus York's Viking recorder station, both upper and lower recording stations had computer predictions as well.
used observations and landmarks on garden for certain levels at nearest measuring station, plus had spread sheet showing diferances between station at 1,2,3 and 4 hour time differances - as it takes time for water to flow down river.
Present spreadsheet has 300 rows and 12 column's of data
snap shot of data
1645634889495.png

If your after all the data will pm you a download for it ;)
You can download the last five days of data from the Govs website for any of the measuring stations - well you can since I asked them for the data download some time back, I was after all the data for years not just five days, but five days better than nothing

Nice. And you've correlated that with the depth of water in the garden and basement so you can predict how future flood warnings will affect you?
yes.
Over 4m at measuring station its over my flood defence and garage floods, make on wall shows depth
1645649036594.png
1645649304402.png

mark was made from pic when flooded last year when the house wasn't mine 4.07m and the same depth was reached when this year the measuring station had higher levels of 4.093m , this is probably due to the farmers field flooding opposite keeping the level at the house down.
I do have another mark on the wall at 5.12m which is the Historical high 20+ years ago
1645649975777.png

1645650023920.png

Although Aldwark Bridge measuring station is a bit of a bottle neck
1645650188522.png

Our house isn't a bottle neck - so it should ever reach the level on the wall and a neighbour who has lived there many years has said that once the flood wall is breached on opposite side of river (green verge behind trees in middle of pic below) it doesn't go up much further as the water can spread a long way. So hopefully the 4.07m mark is the highest it will go
1645650655804.png

If it reaches the 5.12meters mark on wall most of York will be under water
On the plus side they will never build on opposite side of river

Jeez Zeus all that going on and you still took the time to answer my Pm. Bloody marvellous mate speaks volumes of you. Didn't know it was so bad over there. Know what you are going through and at the moment we are getting deluged and our river is on the rise but not as bad as yours and wont3 be as bad......

Dirk.

Jeez Zeus all that going on and you still took the time to answer my Pm. Bloody marvellous mate speaks volumes of you.
Well your cant just sit around and moan about it, there is always something to do, 'Life is like a bucket of water - you can only take out what you put in' . Its our choices of what we put in the bucket that's makes it worth while ;)

Fabulously positive attitude to have about something that would knock the stuffing out of many folks…..and it really is a beautiful spot. Glad ur finding a way to live alongside what nature is throwing at you and have to admire your fortitude. 😊

Fabulously positive attitude to have about something that would knock the stuffing out of many folks…..

A few years back I had bacterial meningitis in Egypt. It was hit and miss for 24hrs, after that what's a bit of flooding ;)

Back