• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Right water conditions for cherry and amano shrimp

Lee iley

Hi guys I have currently just set up a 400 litre medium tech tank as I dose liquid carbon and ferts everyday. I have put about 20 crypts various kinds java fern and moss. My lighting is on 7 hours per day the lighting I use is a led aqua one plant glow 120 49 watts. I have cherry shrimp and amano shrimp in there with tetras. My tap water is 7.14 hardness Clarke is this ok for shrimp? I have lost 2 cherry shrimp these last few days. Any help would be great. Also I use tropical substrate for my plants aswel.

They say cherry shrimp are tough but out of 20 I lost 8 to .... water changes. Every time I changed the water I would find a dead one or two. I've restricted the water change to 10% a week and add the water back over a 2 day period.
I don't think they like change.
Mine have bred now, I see shrimplets. They live in a 4 litre planted vase.

A 10% wouldn't be enough for my 400 litre I have been doing a 50% every 3 days at the min as it is still a new set up. I was thinking king it might be the water changes so I might just do a 50% once a week now. I have 26 shrimp in there 6 Armano shrimp the rest cherry shrimp but lost 2 cherry shrimp. I hope they breed. Plan is to have 50 amano shrimp and 100 cherry shrimp with 100 neons that's it.

I assume the tank is fully cycled ? (8-12 weeks) before they were added ?

I assume the tank is fully cycled ? (8-12 weeks) before they were added ?
Yes the tank has been set up over a year then I rescaped it and used the mature filter media aswel. But I have been doing large water changes every 3 days just to be on the safe side. I put all my neons bk in and they are fine it's the shrimps I'm bothered about as I really want shrimps in the tank. Just wondered if my water is ok for these guys.

My water is pretty hard and RCS and Amanos seem happy, but you do lose some time to time, lucky to see them sometimes have over 60 Amanos and sometimes only see a handful.
Thank you for the reply that's good then. What is your ph it doesn't tell me my ph on the water test I have the Api master kit and it say mine is 7.2 but some reason I don't trust these readings. My temp is 25 aswel is this ok for the shrimps.

You may lose a few shrimp when you put them in. But the cherries will bounce back and start breeding. Don't worry about those numbers, they are fine for cherries.

Amanos I don't know for sure.

Overdosing liquid carbon can kill shrimp though. Keep the dosing stable.

Thanks for the reply guys. That really helps I'm glad the water is ok then.

Ime cherry shrimp often take some adapting to new water but it's when they are settled and breeding that they become very hardy. The other thing is where they were bred, if it's local in similar tank water you might not see any deaths but if they were imported into the uk from the far east you might see lots simply because they have gone through multiple changes in water parameters in a short space of time. I always make changes slowly to begin with before they become used to the conditions where a 50% or higher water change won't phase them.

Ime cherry shrimp often take some adapting to new water but it's when they are settled and breeding that they become very hardy. The other thing is where they were bred, if it's local in similar tank water you might not see any deaths but if they were imported into the uk from the far east you might see lots simply because they have gone through multiple changes in water parameters in a short space of time. I always make changes slowly to begin with before they become used to the conditions where a 50% or higher water change won't phase them.
thank you for the reply I do have a pregnant female she has had her eggs for 2 weeks at the min and still has them is this normal? I hope she doesn't drop them

thank you for the reply I do have a pregnant female she has had her eggs for 2 weeks at the min and still has them is this normal? I hope she doesn't drop them

They tend to drop the eggs if they are unhappy so by still having them it's a good sign. Cherry shrimp hold their eggs anything from 2-3 weeks up to a month (mine tend to hold for 25-30 days) depending on temperature. Lower temperature slows the development.
Berried females is also a good sign as they won't breed unless settled.

They tend to drop the eggs if they are unhappy so by still having them it's a good sign. Cherry shrimp hold their eggs anything from 2-3 weeks up to a month (mine tend to hold for 25-30 days) depending on temperature. Lower temperature slows the development.
Berried females is also a good sign as they won't breed unless settled.
sorry if this sounds stupid a berried female is that when they carry eggs?

Yes that's right :)
How much liquid carbon are you dosing? I would stick to a maximum of whatever the normal/lowest recommended dose is for your product with shrimp... possibly a little less to be on the safe side.

Yes that's right :)
How much liquid carbon are you dosing? I would stick to a maximum of whatever the normal/lowest recommended dose is for your product with shrimp... possibly a little less to be on the safe side.
I am using the floragrow carbo and it is 1 pump to every 50 litres and I have a 400 litre tank so 8 pumps a day if this makes sense. I was thinking on stopping the liquid carbon and just see how I get on with out it what do you think.

Go with a half dose for a bit and see what happens, then reduce further if you don't see much difference.

Hi guys just a little advise please I have just noticed I have baby cherry shrimp I am chuffed to bits so just wondering can I still do water changes and is there anything different I need to do whilst they are so small.

You only need to make sure you don't suck the little ones up. Apart from that you needn't worry about them.

You only need to make sure you don't suck the little ones up. Apart from that you needn't worry about them.
Thanks for this I have just done a big water change today then this afternoon noticed the little guys so I just hope I havnt sucked any up. Do the parent shrimp look after them or are they on there own, thanks for the reply.

Back