• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Right water conditions for cherry and amano shrimp

They are on their own... but don't need mum or Dad, they are just mini shrimp as soon as they hatch. I always check the water change bucket afterwards in case I need to fish any shrimp out. Yo may also want to check your filter in case any have been sucked up into there... that said they'll be fine in there as there will be plenty to eat... just a bit pointless having them where you can't see them!

They are on their own... but don't need mum or Dad, they are just mini shrimp as soon as they hatch. I always check the water change bucket afterwards in case I need to fish any shrimp out. Yo may also want to check your filter in case any have been sucked up into there... that said they'll be fine in there as there will be plenty to eat... just a bit pointless having them where you can't see them!
I thought them been sucked up into the filter would kill them? I'm glad it doesn't kill them then I have found 4 so far 3 red 1 see through they are so tiny.

Depends on your filter design partly but in the two filters of mine certainly they survive...

Do you have different shrimp species in your tank then?

Depends on your filter design partly but in the two filters of mine certainly they survive...

Do you have different shrimp species in your tank then?
I have cherrys and amano shrimp will the amano eat the cherrys shrimplets. Also my filter is an external aqua manta 400 efx if that helps hopefully it won't suck any up I have found 4 little ones so far.

I know many people keeping Amano and cherry shrimp together, including myself. My cherries breed readily so I don't think the Amano are know shrimplet eaters though I wouldnt put it past them as they are opportunistic feeders. Just can imagine them catching one...

I know many people keeping Amano and cherry shrimp together, including myself. My cherries breed readily so I don't think the Amano are know shrimplet eaters though I wouldnt put it past them as they are opportunistic feeders. Just can imagine them catching one...

Yes me too they really compete for food don't they I only have 6 at the min but my plan is to have at least 50 amano in the tank and 100ish red cherrys hopefully. How many do you have?

I only have a couple, possibly one Amano now. I have only small fish so the Amanos looked quite large in comparison!

Also my filter is an external aqua manta 400 efx if that helps hopefully it won't suck any up .

I'm not familiar with this filter but if it's a normal external type inlet (ie slated inlet) then it does have the potential to suck up shrimp. You can buy shrimp guards made of stainless steel very cheaply, which might be a wise investment if the inlet is on show. I'd also have a look at covering the inlet with a sponge (cheap aquatic sponge will do and just make a hole if there isn't one) if the inlet is hidden from view. A sponge prefilter also helps cut down maintenance on your external as less detritus makes it to the filter, you also get the benefit of the shrimp being able to eat the biofilm from the prefilter sponge in complete safety.

Good tip above... just don't get the fluval pre filter sponge... it's tiny and didn't fit my filters 19mm hose. I'm switching to Lily pipes soon so I'm hoping I don't get a lot of shrimp getting sucked in :(

This in the inlet for my filter what type of cover would you recommend. Or will I be fine as the tank is 400 litres I was Hopi g the shrimp wouldn't go near the inlet. Thanks for the advice itcreally helps.

Attachments

• 20180902_120357.jpg
    20180902_120357.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • 20180901_202040.jpg
    20180901_202040.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
Shrimp can be pretty good swimmers but the smaller they are the harder it will be to not get sucked up. It's completely up to you whether you add a sponge or guard on there. On my tank I had a guard from day 1 with my shrimp so I don't know how many would likely be sucked up, hopefully someone with more experience can give you their thoughts.
You could try it without and add a sponge or guard if needed but sponges are pretty cheap and useful to have on standby anyway.

I have just had a peek on Amazon at some sponge filters if I was to get one would my filter still clear the water the same if I'm to block it up with a sponge? Cheers

I have ordered this one would this be ok for flow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180902-133040.png
    Screenshot_20180902-133040.png
    324.7 KB · Views: 84
I use the fluval sponge intake strainer and find it doesn't reduce flow too much. Works well for the shrimp to graze on too. Also means I can clean my filter less frequently.

I use the fluval sponge intake strainer and find it doesn't reduce flow too much. Works well for the shrimp to graze on too. Also means I can clean my filter less frequently.
Could you upload a pic please that would be great thanks.

Back