• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rimless tank options post-EA?

Epiphyte

Evening all,

I'm after two tanks, a 60cm and 90cm rimless, tank only. Now the EA Aquascaper 900 would have been perfect, but since EA sold their aquarium models to D-D with nothing heard for a while and the ADA is a bit pricey for me, what could my options be?

Allpondsolutions have them or course but I'm dubious of them as there is little info out there as to quality.

Any recommendations?

Allpondsolutions have them or course but I'm dubious of them as there is little info out there as to quality.

They're terrible, I returned mine.

Aquascapers are about the same price as an ADA tank, aren't they?

Superfish also have a new range out, and they don't look too bad to me.

I had the same problem. I had my mind set on Aquascaper 900 for ages but when I went to order in November I found the issues with the change in ownership. After lots of online research I couldn't find anything worth taking a punt on at that size as a ready-made, in stock item, so decided to custom order.

I tried going the local route and went into my local fishy store to get a quote for an optiwhite tank. The owner wasn't in but the two members of staff took my details and requirements and promised the boss would get back to me. Still haven't heard back from them two months later...

Anyway, after lots more research I ordered a custom built tank from Aquariums4Life. Prices are more than EA but much less than ADA for similar size (excluding delivery). Only problem is a 12-16 week wait, so I haven't actually received the tank yet. I obviously can't give a review of the tank quality yet, but it is an option for you if no others are forthcoming. They were the only online custom build outfit I felt safe to order from (unseen) after much research, and I am sure there are several recommendations for them here on UKAPS. The customer service/contact is good too.

For the 60cm option I would look at the new Superfish Scaper range (as mentioned in the post above) if you are willing to use their included light.

You might want to look at Nacd aquariums https://nacd-aquariums.co.uk/shop.
And then run the other way very fast!

They (he) messed me around something awful, continual delays, wrong product turning up and then finally an aquarium delivered that started to come apart at the seams when I filled it.

It took quite some effort for me to get my money back from Sam (AKA Przemyslaw) and found them to be a company hiding a lot.

One's he made wrong is still up for sale on ebay well over a year later. DO NOT BUY!

They're terrible, I returned mine.

Aquascapers are about the same price as an ADA tank, aren't they?
What was your reason for returning? They're almost so cheap it's worth a punt.

Superfish also have a new range out, and they don't look too bad to me.
Just seen this but seems to be a real shame to pay to waste the light and filter as these will be upgraded to proper items. That said there is a Maidenhead local to me so I'm sure I can go check them out.

I had the same problem. I had my mind set on Aquascaper 900 for ages but when I went to order in November I found the issues with the change in ownership. After lots of online research I couldn't find anything worth taking a punt on at that size as a ready-made, in stock item, so decided to custom order.

I tried going the local route and went into my local fishy store to get a quote for an optiwhite tank. The owner wasn't in but the two members of staff took my details and requirements and promised the boss would get back to me. Still haven't heard back from them two months later...

Anyway, after lots more research I ordered a custom built tank from Aquariums4Life. Prices are more than EA but much less than ADA for similar size (excluding delivery). Only problem is a 12-16 week wait, so I haven't actually received the tank yet. I obviously can't give a review of the tank quality yet, but it is an option for you if no others are forthcoming. They were the only online custom build outfit I felt safe to order from (unseen) after much research, and I am sure there are several recommendations for them here on UKAPS. The customer service/contact is good too.

For the 60cm option I would look at the new Superfish Scaper range (as mentioned in the post above) if you are willing to use their included light.
Prices seem quite reasonable, however their sizes are very odd. I'll do some more research as perhaps a deeper tank could look nice.

You might want to look at Nacd aquariums https://nacd-aquariums.co.uk/shop.
I have come across Nacd, but when you google.it the first result is this thread Product Review - NACD aquariums which doesn't inspire me with confidence!

I'd wait. I'm sure the range will be up and running again soon.
I sure hope so, I would have hoped to have heard something about by now given how long the tanks have been unavailable for.

I have a A4L tank custom made and the quality and finish is great, so great i'm having another one built.
Second recommendation so can't be too bad. I'll definitely take a look.

And then run the other way very fast!

They (he) messed me around something awful, continual delays, wrong product turning up and then finally an aquarium delivered that started to come apart at the seams when I filled it.

It took quite some effort for me to get my money back from Sam (AKA Przemyslaw) and found them to be a company hiding a lot.

One's he made wrong is still up for sale on ebay well over a year later. DO NOT BUY!
Interesting, I read your thread so I think I'll be keeping a safe distance!!

I have an aquascaper on order also, and has been since mid december. I spoke with my supplier a few days ago and they told me that the delay is the glass getting from China, and that its an import issue. They have suggested that I ma see it some time mid February. They are good tanks for a fair price Im going to wait it out.

What was your reason for returning? They're almost so cheap it's worth a punt.
Where they cut the silicone to make it neat, they'd cut 2mm into the glass. Imagine the pressure/lack of care it takes from the maker to push a blade 2mm into glass.

I must have some pictures somewhere, also silicone work is not neat.

I have an aquascaper on order also, and has been since mid december. I spoke with my supplier a few days ago and they told me that the delay is the glass getting from China, and that its an import issue. They have suggested that I ma see it some time mid February. They are good tanks for a fair price Im going to wait it out.
I was hearing mid-Jan but I guess in the mad world we live in delays are to be expected. A real shame.

Where they cut the silicone to make it neat, they'd cut 2mm into the glass. Imagine the pressure/lack of care it takes from the maker to push a blade 2mm into glass.

I must have some pictures somewhere, also silicone work is not neat.

I can live with untidy silicone as I'd just neaten it up myself. But a 2mm gouge! Impressive given how strong glass is to scoring. I am really tempted to try at only £65, I can return it if it's crap. That just leaves me something a bit bigger to search for.

I was hearing mid-Jan but I guess in the mad world we live in delays are to be expected. A real shame.
No doubt they are over egging it maybe, to increase customer satisfaction if it comes earlier. As you said life is crazy I work in the car industry and what was 9-11 weeks build on some is now hitting 25weeks+

I am really tempted to try at only £65, I can return it if it's crap. That just leaves me something a bit bigger to search for.
Seriously. @castle is right it's not worth the hassle. APS aquariums are truly dreadful. I took one for the team and ordered an APS tank. The silicon work was as rough as a badgers backside, not just too much but not enough in places. You can't tidy up whats not there. Plus I found hairs and dirt trapped within the silicon. And returning it was a nightmare. APS's after sales service left much to be desired.

Point taken. My search continues. A4L do look good but the lead times put me off slightly if what @Maf 2500 says is correct.

I have a perfectly fine Juwel Rio 350 right now, but I find the whole thing a bit monolithic and ugly. A nice braceless/rimless tank would soften it up a little I feel. Plus multiple small tanks sounds more interesting than one big one!

Its seems like it actually getting harder to obtain a nice tank. I actually emailed 4 different companies of custom built tanks and only one bothered to reply Even that was not very good as the reply took six weeks from the date of my mail.

Limited sizes and no idea on local pricing (they’ll be available in Canada, never)

Eheim has released a rimless tank series

(Aquaeden in Portugal has them listed so should give you some idea)

Eheim has released a rimless tank series

(Aquaeden in Portugal has them listed so should give you some idea)
225 Euro for 90 x 45 x 50 is more than competitive. If they can bring that price (or something close) to the UK they will sell a lot of tanks.

Conversely, I have a aps 120cm options white tank and it's flawless. I bought it to make into a terrarium so the silicone wasn't an issue. In truth I wanted to make my own tank like I normally do but couldn't buy the glass for the cost of the tank delivered (I also ordered silicon at the time as i thought id have to fix it). This was 2 years ago and apparently quality has improved from what came before that period. Would I recommend a punt on one, probably not as you can't see them before you buy and I trust tim's and castle's opinions.
I wouldn't rule out dodgy tanks from any manufacturer though. Ea in the past have had plenty of tanks sent back due to shoddy workmanship. They are much better now and should improve further under d-d but every manufacturer seems to have Friday afternoon rush jobs so make sure you inspect the tank closely on delivery.

Back