• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rimless tank options post-EA?

Pilkington is a UK brand that use the brand name “OptiWhite”. Most glass tanks are made in China and use their own low iron glass.
that’s bonkers that its still cheaper to send a box of air over than a container of glass or even use the UK or French (believe they make an awful lot of glass there) manufactured glass and put it all together here.

The thing that is putting me off A4L is being charged £100 to have a a tank only delivered. I bought a pizza oven weighing considerably more and bigger footprint and was only charged half that. Maybe Im losing touch with reality

The thing that is putting me off A4L is being charged £100 to have a a tank only delivered. I bought a pizza oven weighing considerably more and bigger footprint and was only charged half that. Maybe Im losing touch with reality
Yes, they do seem expensive. You are unlucky that you are about as far away as it is possible to get from them in England. My delivery is about 70 quid and I'm 120 miles or so closer than you are. If I lived nearer to the North West I would have just gone and collected it myself.

I like the suggestion above to find a custom builder closer to home. Not always possible though, my local fish store ghosted me when I asked for a quote and I did not know where else to turn.

Yes, they do seem expensive. You are unlucky that you are about as far away as it is possible to get from them in England. My delivery is about 70 quid and I'm 120 miles or so closer than you are. If I lived nearer to the North West I would have just gone and collected it myself.

I like the suggestion above to find a custom builder closer to home. Not always possible though, my local fish store ghosted me when I asked for a quote and I did not know where else to turn.
If there is a custom manufacturer in norfolk/suffolk I am not aware of them. And I dont seem to be able find any when doing internet searches. I would gladly do a round trip to collect but not a 10 hour trip😂

My tank light is essentially my office light 🤣
I know the feeling, I have mine come on early in the day so that by the time I go to watch TV in the evening the tank is off! Which means I don't get to enjoy it as much!

Shipping costs was one of the major points that made me away with A4L. I know pallet shipments can be expensive but it's a hard pill to swallow.

In other news my 60cm APS tank arrived today. Exceptionally well packed and the tank seems really good quality. I filled it up today just to throw some plants in it from my recent rescape but will take a proper look when I move the plants on either way, for the price, I'm happy with it, will be ideal for a nice iwagumi tank im thinking of doing.

Not many custom tank builders will take on a minimal silicone type construction, most frown at clear silicone!
I struggled finding someone last time around and A4L were the best I could find and had very bad experience elsewhere.
A 90-P could be a really good solution for you. The best glass you can get. If you donot need a cabinet that would be my choice 100%
I think this is your best option and absolutely agree with Steve here, I always thought the ADA aquariums were overpriced junk that bent under the weight of the water, how wrong I was.
If the cabinet is your issue here then it's something you could either build yourself or contract out, depending on budget of course - I'll happily help talk you through this and options you have if you needed, you know where I am.

I would gladly do a round trip to collect but not a 10 hour trip

Contradictory statements here :)

I’m guessing you haven’t seen what happens when even very well packed glass boxes get stuck with a slightly careless driver somewhere along the shipping route - every single one was glass shatter
Sure insurance covers some costs but far from the whole cost to company selling and company receiving (and clients waiting)

But really only 5 hours each way, leave at 7, have a grand lunch somewhere, home for dinner ... a fine adventure

Depending on aquascaping goals and fish interest, I’d definitely choose the 90 x 60 x 50cm (high)

Just to make everyone aware, forum sponsors Horizon Aquatics now stock waterbox aquariums and I believe drop shipping is foc.
Anyone wanting a replacement quickly for the ea tank such as @Paul Kettless maybe worth contacting them for more information.
The cabinet colour choices aren’t as varied with black, white and natural wood, however the tanks and stands are well built, with the cabinets in particular vastly superior build quality than the ea alloy framed one IMO. The larger systems doors are triple hinged and soft close and partially double end panel strengthened which I guess will account for a slightly higher price.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Last edited:
I would gladly do a round trip to collect but not a 10 hour trip😂

Have to agree with @alto, @Paul Kettless. If the personal cost of a 10 hour round trip is too much, then you can imagine the costs of shipping a tank on a pallet via a similar trip might not be that unreasonable at £100.

As someone who has to ship large bespoke products around the country for a living I can attest that transport costs are immense and always going up. For a decent quality pallet carrier, you're generally looking at a minimum of £45+ VAT per 1200mm square pallet - that cost goes upwards for more out of the way postcodes, doesn't include any insurance (which means any damage is an immediate loss), nor packaging costs (including the pallet itself!).

It is worth remembering that ultimately, you always end up paying the same carriage costs - some suppliers choose to quote the actual cost for clarity and fairness to customers at different distances, others simply build the cost into their product price and offer reduced or free delivery - in which case all customers share the cost irrespective of the physical delivery distance.

Last edited:
I know the feeling, I have mine come on early in the day so that by the time I go to watch TV in the evening the tank is off! Which means I don't get to enjoy it as much!

Couldn't you fashion a removable wood or acrylic front valance that sits on the tank front edge Paulo to shield your view of the light?

Hate to be that guy, but you have to factor in a potential £200 fine at the moment as well, apparently norfolk is very hot on cars moving out of the county.

Most shops can easily get custom tanks made. So its worth asking around. Even not so local shops might be able to get you a good deal as sometimes they get discounts for volume and you might be able to pick them up from there.

Hate to be that guy, but you have to factor in a potential £200 fine at the moment as well, apparently norfolk is very hot on cars moving out of the county.

Most shops can easily get custom tanks made. So its worth asking around. Even not so local shops might be able to get you a good deal as sometimes they get discounts for volume and you might be able to pick them up from there.
There is a forced road block between the two roundabouts before thetofrd and the elveden bypass, I saw them set it up on Chirstmas day. Pulling over every 1 in a few cars, or so I'm told.

I’m guessing you haven’t seen what happens when even very well packed glass boxes get stuck with a slightly careless driver somewhere along the shipping route - every single one was glass shatter
Sure insurance covers some costs but far from the whole cost to company selling and company receiving (and clients waiting)

But really only 5 hours each way, leave at 7, have a grand lunch somewhere, home for dinner ... a fine adventure

Depending on aquascaping goals and fish interest, I’d definitely choose the 90 x 60 x 50cm (high)

Ooh I do like that, especially, as you say, that extra height and all that free swimming space!

I did consider a drive to get a A4L tank but the 400 mile round trip would probably cost me £100 in fuel anyway. Then unless you have an estate or 4x4 (which I don't) there's a good chance the thing won't fit in your car, as @soggybongo can testify trying to fit a 75cm tank in to my very standard sized saloon/coupe the other week!

£100 is good value in all reality, but I guess it's just an extra cost that's not factored in to our budgets more often than not which puts us off.

Rather stupidly, buying a £350 tank with £100 p&p is off-putting, yet if I were to buy the same tank at £450 with free shipping I'd probably not think twice. Brains are funny like that I guess.

Last edited:
Under the current lockdown restrictions there is no way that I would even consider making the journey at this time. Therefore, this would have been something that I maybe would have considered once we have more free movement. I understand what you are saying regarding the insurance and I guess transporting glass is far more risky than brick, despite the fact that my oven value was considerably more than the aquarium. The more I think about it, I suppose the delivery cost is more justified.

I have had a conversation with Horizon today about the waterbox aquariums, and they seem to be an option. They said that they are very happy with the build quality and silicone work, and that they have only been available in the UK for just over a couple of weeks. I have to admit that I am tempted by the fact that the tank has the same dimensions an an Aquascaper 900, and at £349.00 delivered seems to be a good price.

Ooh I do like that, especially, as you say, that extra height and all that free swimming space!

I did consider a drive to get a A4L tank but the 400 mile round trip would probably cost me £100 in fuel anyway. Then unless you have an estate or 4x4 (which I don't) there's a good chance the thing won't fit in your car, as @soggybongo can testify trying to fit a 75cm tank in to my very standard sized saloon/coupe the other week!

£100 is good value in all reality, but I guess it's just an extra cost that's not factored in to our budgets more often than not which puts us off.

Rather stupidly, buying a £350 tank with £100 p&p is off-putting, yet if I were to buy the same tank at £450 with free shipping I'd probably not think twice. Brains are funny like that I guess.

Not just the cost factor but time too..Sod driving 400miles to save a £100

Back