Ring in when I bought 11 ember tetras - what is it? Aaand... Green Neon Rasboras?

Neocaridina

I bought 11 ember tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae) and after a couple of days, realised that one stayed completely separate from the school in the back corner.
Can I seek the collective expertise to find out what it is?
It is somewhat see through and has a more upturned mouth than my embers. The colour is like a paler ember. But it has a faint patch of black on the dorsal fin unlike the embers.
I’ll post pics of my embers for comparison.

Attachments

tam

Embers can have the black patch like that. It looks like a washed out ember, might be unwell.

Neocaridina

8C9BF25E-E127-4B0E-B353-90528955BE50.jpeg
I got them from livefish.com.au, an online company in Australia. They also sold me these as Microdevario kubotai.
I actually think they sent me Green Neon TETRAS.

Last edited:

Neocaridina

Thanks @tam. Four out of the ten I received were this washed out colour. But only this one stays apart from the rest. Do you think all four are unwell? Should I isolate them or remove them?

tam

Thanks @tam. Four out of the ten I received were this washed out colour. But only this one stays apart from the rest. Do you think all four are unwell? Should I isolate them or remove them?
It's a stress colour and some will stay that way longer - they often look like that in fish shops. I wouldn't usually worry apart from it's separated itself as well. Body wise it's looks plump and ok though, so I would just keep your water changes regular so the water quality is top notch, don't go too bright on lights and if you use CO2 turn it down a bit. Then cross your fingers and hope it perks up.

Natasha

Yeah as @tam says - grey is usually stress (and I find old age). I find that my Embers usually recover from this in time and anything that can be done to allow them to de-stress is useful. For me this usually means staying away from the tank for anything other than the necessary water changes and feeding.

Sometimes I find that a shift to nicer quality/live food gives them a boost. Fingers crossed for you.

Neocaridina

Livefish Australia acknowledged their mistake and very kindly sent me the Microdevario! I now have green neon tetras and green neon Rasboras. Both beautiful in their own ways. Microdevario swim higher in the tank and are more outgoing than the simulans.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
frothhelmet Dry food for ember tetras - can't get them to eat Fish 6
Elliott_Fordham Why are my ember tetras so shy? Fish 35
Paul27 Ember tetra price Fish 1
Paul27 Ember tetra price Fish 8