• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RIO 180 My rescape journal!!

tko187

20080709_03.jpg

20080709_02.jpg

20080709_04.jpg

Hi i set up a rio 180 a couple of months ago with plastic plants never knowing i would come across a site like this (thanks London Dragon) and now have been completely bitten by the bug!! Im forever on this forum and would like to show my teardown and build up of my new set up. I already have fish in my tank and have to now go about transferring the old gravel and adding ADA A/S with nile sand (open foreground or path) with my newly aquired rock from TGM (thanks Jim and Mark), have also received my jbl co2 kit. I am planning on going dry fertz route as it is much cheaper than the TPN+. Stuff has been ordered from AE. Thanks to anyone who has been helping/advising me on this site, Clive, Ed Steely, LD anyone else also who replied to my threads. Its a great place for info and the articles are really informative. Im not doing the change for about a week as i have to choose plants, would love any advice on this also. Im going for the nature style aquarium look and probably will be adding some driftwood. Thats about it just now keep it locked!!

My tank right now has the T5 high lite units by Juwel with reflectors, also i am just keeping my internal filter (might add external if needed). I have a Hydor Koralia Powerhead for circulation as advised by ED. JBL set profi 2, Any help with scapes or layout links would be appreciated, i need all the help i can get guys. Thanks.

Aeropars said:
I'd get rid of that reactor that comes with the JBL set. Its highly inefficient in my experience.
Yup have done thanks for that. Ive ordered the Rhinox 2000. Dont like the look of the JBL one myself. Does anyone know if i should add co2 as soon as i have planted or to wait about a week till its all settled?

Great to see your journal started :) Good choice on the CO2 diffusor.
Just take note that you will need to do plenty of water changes if you put your fish back in the tank straight away after adding the Aquasoil. Be ready to do a 50% change every other day for a couple of weeks, if you had the fish don't pump the CO2 too high or you will poison/kill them off, run an airstone during lights out that will also give the fish a break.
Glad you enjoying the site :)

Hey thanks for all the guiders, ill sure need them, just trying to figure out the co2 setup, and also gonna break up some of that rock, wheres my sledgehammer at!! It will probs take me a week to select plant and a layout i want to do, i dont know now ive got my stuff, before i was totally on the nature style, but now im thinking of rocks with a path and riccia, glosso, and echinodorus, plus anubias and some crypts. Let me know. Cheers.

tko,
It's always worth checking other journals, especially those of George, zig, Dan, planter, and Graeme to get ideas of plants and scape. You can also look at some of Oliver Knott's creations for inspiration=> http://www.pbase.com/plantella Many of his designs are simple but effective. Even if you just blatantly copy the basic elements of the designs you'll have fun and it will turn out OK.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
You can also look at some of Oliver Knott's creations for inspiration

is this guy for real? :lol:

good use of skulls....mmmm

theres some great tanks from the adg page? but oliver knott? ive seen something similar in my pets at home store.

and ive spoted one of his pics in the tropica catalogue. whats going off?

He means the ones without skulls... Obviously he's actually done some really good scapes.
You can't deny that his plant growth and maintenance even on his "exhibition" tanks is absolutely faultless and that the health of the tanks FAR surpasses the most of ours.

Garuf said:
He means the ones without skulls... Obviously he's actually done some really good scapes.
You can't deny that his plant growth and maintenance even on his "exhibition" tanks is absolutely faultless and that the health of the tanks FAR surpasses the most of ours.
Yup true dat!!

Hi peeps, got my driftwood today, along with my powders and other bits and pieces, were getting there, cant wait to start, just need a day when im on my owm and the kids arent home. Hopefully soon. In the mean time im just reading up on as much as i can and forum hopping.

This is a pic of my tank in present condition, without co2, ADA, ferts, The plants seem like they have started to die but then again they have been good for 8 weeks +.
20080711_02.jpg

A close up shot, the cocunut is for growing purposes only, its getting a trim soon, i dont know what kind of moss it is, but is it ok to put on driftwood??
20080711_04.jpg

Another one
20080711_03.jpg

A pic of my Mopani malaysian driftwood ( i think thats what its called anyway)
20080711_05.jpg

My ferts, i sectioned them like i was told!
20080711_01_01.jpg

And this is what ill be doing on the weekend lots of reading!!
20080711_01.jpg

Thanks to AE for their speedy delivery!! 1 day all the way up to sunny Scotland. Sorry for all the pics i was bored man!!

aaronnorth said:
are you keeping the airstone 24/7?

Well thats is the wifes addition, i personally dont like them but she wanted bubbles so i had to settle!! :lol: I think i will get rid of them and maybe just put them on at night once the co2 is added, next week hopefully!

tko187 said:
Well thats is the wifes addition, i personally dont like them but she wanted bubbles so i had to settle!! :lol: I think i will get rid of them and maybe just put them on at night once the co2 is added, next week hopefully!
I run mine a few hours during the night to give the fish a break from the CO2, I noticed the fish having problems the next morning if the air pump wasn't turned on, but if you leave it on 24/7 then you will loose a lot of CO2.

Hi, not worked on the tank much, have been on holiday, i will be ordering plants soon and starting my new rescape very soon. This is a current pic just to let you know where im at. I changed the awful background and also took out the slate.
1-1.jpg

saintly said:
ceg4048 said:
You can also look at some of Oliver Knott's creations for inspiration

is this guy for real? :lol:

good use of skulls....mmmm

theres some great tanks from the adg page? but oliver knott? ive seen something similar in my pets at home store.

and ive spoted one of his pics in the tropica catalogue. whats going off?
Sorry, remind me, you've been doing this how long again? :rolleyes: Oliver knows his stuff inside out, and most of his tanks are commissioned works, so he's not always responsible for what goes in them (panda's footballs, skulls, etc). If you had a good look through his portfolio, you'll see he's done a number of high quality and unique inspirational scapes. With respect, you've pulled off a great copy of an Amano tank, but nothing new.

Back