• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Riparium Bonsai

Last night I set this up with pool filter sand and oak leaves.

17-V-13-tank-I-m.jpg

is that a pine that main plant

looks like a pine or evergreen

just thought pines weren't good in the aquarium

That's a cypress tree, not a pine.

Thanks Alastair! I hope to add fish this week. I think I will use a little group of Boraras as well as a single Indostomus crocadilus.

I got another new plant in the mail last week. These are three bare root sapling of swamp rose (Rosa palustris).

21-V-13-Rosa-palustris-II-m.jpg

As a northern rose this is a temperate plant, but I hope that it will work out in the riparium. I have seen a few cases of roses growing as houseplants, so they might not necessarily require a cold winter dormancy.

Here is one of the plants unwrapped. I planted this specimen in a ripairum planter on Saturday and already the buds have started to open and I see new roots in the planter. This might be a pretty good plant to grow like riparium bonsai.

21-V-13-Rosa-palustris-I-m.jpg

Here's another shot a little bit closer to show the foliage textures.

22-V-13-tank-I-m.jpg

I hope to have fish pretty soon!

I have a quick update photo. This is with a black background and some Photoshop. I added a couple of new plants. You can see the Marsilea fern over on the right. I am trying to decide whether I like the underwater area or not. The oak leaves have stained the water and sand. I wonder if I might prefer very clear water instead and a combination of sand with gravel and stones(?).

Still no fish yet.

3-VI-13-tank-I-m.jpg

This is certainly a unique aqua scape! Great job.

Where will you put the aquarium heater given the minimal height of the glass?

Thanks!

This tank will not need a heater during the next few months as the room is warm enough. If it gets to be more chilly during the winter I can add a small 25w heater and position it horizontally along one side.

I have a quick update photo. This is with a black background and some Photoshop. I added a couple of new plants. You can see the Marsilea fern over on the right. I am trying to decide whether I like the underwater area or not. The oak leaves have stained the water and sand. I wonder if I might prefer very clear water instead and a combination of sand with gravel and stones(?).

Still no fish yet.

3-VI-13-tank-I-m.jpg

Beautiful mate. Would be a shame to have to remove the leaves as I think they contrast really well. Have you decided on fish by the way

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Back