• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rise of the Iwasabi-Kusa

Depends what you want but in general yes, my pair of clowns cost £35 but have the potential of living to 30 or 40 odd years lol Average soft coral frag in the shop is about £20-£25 I guess, my pair of leather toadstools cost £45 and frank was £8. But if you compare that to say aaa shrimp and manzi plus ferts etc I think a high tech planted could run very close to a fairly simple marine.

You def can do salt water on the cheap, with minimal equipment. I know I have done it, fish are a little more expensive but you get a lot more personality for your money. Never had corals though, but think you can pick up cheap frags from people,forums, ebay, etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Now spraying once a day, not cling-film or lid.. growth seems great, cuba is such a rich green its beautiful stuff. can see the hydrocotyle rooting into the substrate too. the stem plants have a very specific rcih redness to the stems and top leaves, not seen this kinda of colouration's on this before. :)

looking good. do you need to cover it up with film just over night or all the time?

Great stuff mate nice to see these plants grown emersed just get an idea of how they differ from what i normaly see.Raving sucess mate!Cheers mark

Cheers geez, I'm loving the stems, the leave have gone metallic and reddish. Please with the progress too. U got a spare bulb for me Mate? I need an e27 screw, I'm after something quite cool and white

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers geez, I'm loving the stems, the leave have gone metallic and reddish. Please with the progress too. U got a spare bulb for me Mate? I need an e27 screw, I'm after something quite cool and white

No sorry mate easy to from anywhere though, I recommend you just have a look on ebay for a CFL as these are the best for plant growth. Check out these filter setting. what lamp are you going to be using? you can also buy socket converters if you need to.

Yeah I got a load of ivory convertors from my old vivarium lamps, I'm just thinking a cheap but nice this lamp that will take a screw bulb. I'll check it out. I'll cut some out in a couple weeks and send to u Mate :)

UPDATE, must be about 6 weeks now, I skipped last weeks update because I was just simply to busy. I have noticed a few things, good and bad that we can see. The bad is that the anubias ar beginning to die. Some leaves seem to be drying up and just generally dying, Im assuming this is because I now how no lid and only spray 1nce a day. The cuba is very very slightly beginning to yellow but I can see new shoots and new small baby leaves so I know this is just coping. Hopefully it can get through the adaptation and continue to grow. The stems are beautiful, they have drooped and now grow horizontally but they are very very vibrant red. the camera can never pick the red vains out well enough. The hydrocotyle is doing very very well, the stems are also a vibrant rich red showing red vains on the surface of the leaves. The smaller hydro is yellowing but again new roots are spreading so ill keep up with the spraying and see if this survives. I have begun to cover the bowl this week as its ridiculously cold in my house so keeping the cling-film on for a few hours a day. The positives are quite interesting indeed. I went to the moores about 2 weeks ago and I found two types of moss.. Im hoping someone can identify these, one I keep in a separate tub as I just wanted to see if I could grow it. It goes through stages of colour, some days its very very green almost neon green no joke, some times its slightly darker. Im putting this down to the fact that it needs to be a certain level of 'moist' I peeled if from a tree and its literally like a sheet of moss that I can pick up. Im wondering if I can grow it in my tank attached to the wood poking out the surface. But im not sure. The other moss is the very very small dark green blob you can see in one of the photos, its growing because the moss seems to be poking out from the water and going a bright green. Its very interesting to see whats survives and what doesn't Its great to try things I find in the woods too. I would like to know what they were though but I understand that they need to be at their best of health to be identified. Especially the small moss n the bowl. Im also very pleased with another moss I added at the very beginning. I added a load sphagnum moss moss and decided to take it out because it was just dying and soaking up all my water... 6 weeks later I must of missed a bit and its started to grow. If anyone has seen this in the wild the colours and formations are AMAZING. Hopefully it takes on that shaoe and colour. Its definately looking promising. Here are some photos.

8526620631_8f977b73b9.jpg
DSC_0031Jack Dicker

8526622335_ac2d996b27.jpg
DSC_0030Jack Dicker

8526625187_09c68ccc5d.jpg
DSC_0027Jack Dicker

8526627953_1ef94b6474.jpg
DSC_0026Jack Dicker

8526631881_b40c65c295.jpg
DSC_0025Jack Dicker

8526634759_2e1d027220.jpg
DSC_0024Jack Dicker

8526640859_782eb9c39d.jpg
DSC_0022Jack Dicker

8526646333_9eda841b7b.jpg
DSC_0021Jack Dicker

8526649735_894a98770d.jpg
DSC_0020Jack Dicker

8526653047_e5225ef0b2.jpg
DSC_0029Jack Dicker

Come up to Scotland, you can stand on sphagnum moss and sink until water comes over the top of your walking boots. If there is oozy mud underneath, as is usually the way, you go in up to your knees. It is a bugger to get out of. Its why it is so good in poltices.

Looks better each time i see it Jack.The stem colouring in some plants very different and more pronounced than when grown submersed and Yes mate you can tell the difference with the new light.Also the HC is making an effort to get up the rock!Cheers mark

Back