• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rise of the Mossoliths

TBRO

Hi all,

I've re-scaped my Osaka 260 - I didn't compleatly strip out the tank just moved around hard scape (I know lazy :sick: )
So still using the standard Osaka Kit

Filter - Fluval 305 (mature)
Lights - 2 x 36 w T5
C02 - TGM kit
Ferts - Easy Carb 8 ml, TPN + 4 ml Daily
Substrate - ADA amazonia (planted area) River Gravel and ADA Xingu gravel elswhere
Stones - Welsh Shale
Wood - Redmoore
Plants - Cyperus helferi, Pogostemon helferi, Staurogyne sp, Blyxa. Rotala sp. Green, Spiky moss, Weeping Moss

I wanted to have twin towers covered in moss but it turned out to be very difficult to tie the weeping moss to the new bug stone and I had to settle for tying it to small stones and hoping it spreads down the stone. Some of the wood looks pretty bare and blunt ended but should soften as the moss grows. It was a big muddy mess there are no "making of" shots. At 2 weeks now and things are starting to grow in. Just wish I had a moss fast -forward !

mossolith004.jpg

mossolith006.jpg

mossolith007.jpg

Weeping Moss stones

Thoughts and comments welcome, Tom :)

its very nice, i rely like the structure of it and the height you have acheived with the big stones on top of the substrate. i also like the small stones at the base of the mound with the graded gravel and the Pogostemon Helferi inbetween them. :thumbup: good job!

Very nice looking and what a great name :)

Trimming the moss regularly will probably encourage it to spread :idea:

Wow, this is impressive stuff! I really like mound scapes like this recently - I like the naturalness of the stones and grades in the foreground with the Helfri.

Great job! ;)

Truly a work of art. Very impressive.
The mixture of textures from the different rocks compliment each other well. Natural too. :clap:

Thanks for all the positive feedback Guys, I've had loads of inspiration from all your tanks :D I always struggle scaping this tank because it's so damm tall. I a dead leaf catches your eye you basically have to strip to the waist to get it ! I've tried to raise everything up to make things easier. I'm sure I saw Osakas reccomended as ideal for plant somwhere but I'd not reccomend it!

I'm also obsessed with moss at the moment thanks to posts from Matt and others, I really like the bright green tips on activley growing moss, like little emeralds. Combined with red-ruby shrimps... I'm rambling a bit

I agree Clark the new big stone does draw the eye and i would have liked to cover it in moss but just couldn't get the cotton to work, might try superglue next time.

I'd like a few bigger, showier fish like dwarf gouramies or Bettas any suggestions ?

A few snaps of the tank from different angles, the weeping moss is refusing to weep down the big stone :thumbdown: Had some brush algae especially on the Cyperus helferi. I love the Staurogyne the more you chop it back the tighter and greener it gets. Got quite a few baby cherry and CRS shrimps in my Nano so hopefully will be adding these soon to add some more colour.

mossolith2003.jpg

mossolith2004.jpg

mossolith2008.jpg

mossolith2009.jpg

Comments and Crits welcomed - T

Hi T,
I love it especcially now it's filling out,it reminds me of some hills my wife and I go walking on, there called the licky hills,
regarss john

Hiya,

Loving this. My weeping moss weeps pretty well, but i've bought stuff from a second source that wasnt the same. There is alot of miss labelling out there in moss....

I also find mine "weeps" more when it bulks up and less when it is nearer the lights and pearling (oxygen lifting it up).

Give it time, might take off.

Everything looks so nice and healthy thou. I'm jealous.

Best Regards,
John

Thanks for the kind comments and feedback. I agree I'm starting to think it might not be weeping moss, I really like it anyway and it is slowly covering the stone. I've heard you need a microscope to be certain about moss species!

I'm toying with the idea of removing the moss from the pointy rock and replacing it with the "weeping" moss so it looks more uniform. I'll try and post some more pics when I've done some more maintainance!

Thanks - Tom

amazing looking really good!
I like all the moss used. :thumbup:
Id keep it as it is.

Back