• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

River life photos

MirandaB

Seeing as the weather is rather warm at the moment I'm spending a lot of time in the river so thought I'd share a few photos on here :)
P1030938.JPG
P1030939.JPG
P1030947.JPG
P1030925.JPG
P1030923.JPG

Some lovely pictures there - I like the one close to the water surface.

Nice little baby pike too - perfect torpedo predator in miniature, That could be a 20lb'er in 10 years!

Nice little baby pike too - perfect torpedo predator in miniature, That could be a 20lb'er in 10 years!

I often wish they stayed that size,I'd love to keep one in a tank :D
They're surprisingly chilled out too,I just gently netted that one from its hiding place under the overhanging bank and it wasn't bothered at all.

That's a fantastic shot Mort!
I can never get photos of the Dragonflies in the garden as they rarely seem to land long enough which is a shame.

That's a fantastic shot Mort!
I can never get photos of the Dragonflies in the garden as they rarely seem to land long enough which is a shame.

I've been quite lucky this year in our garden and seen 5 or 6 different species flying about. I had a few sticks supporting floppy plants and deliberately left them longer, up to about 5ft, and they made good resting spots for some of them.

Hi all, Brilliant, Norfolk Hawker. I've never lived in the right part of England to see one.

cheers Darrel

I only really see them at one small broad which has appropriate dykes for them but they are very abundant there. It's also where the cetti's warblers hang out.

Indeed nice pics and beautiful baby pike... 🥰

Pikes in a decent size actually taste good (Lard with bacon). :p Is slightly comparable with trout but has considerably more bones.

I've been quite lucky this year in our garden and seen 5 or 6 different species flying about. I had a few sticks supporting floppy plants and deliberately left them longer, up to about 5ft, and they made good resting spots for some of them.

I'll have to try that trick in future,thanks for the tip :thumbup:
There's been about half a dozen hunting up and down the garden in the late afternoon but the weather has put a stop to that.

Hi all, Lots of lovely little, very sharp, Y shaped ones scattered throughout the flesh. When I fished I used to eat the 3 - 4 kg sized ones in the winter as "fish cakes", but some bones always got through.

cheers Darrel

I used to take one jack a season; only from a weir pool that had trout in it. Still a touch muddy, but far too many bones, you're right - should have been fish cakes. Larousse gastronomique has a few recipes for pike.

had pike terrine, when helping to sort fish in La Brenne, if you took enough for the chefs to sell on, then they would debone etc and make a nice meal

got pics some where of haendsorting the pike, carp and tench from the seines, for the table and restocking other mud ponds

Back