• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

river manifold

biffster

i was thinking of running a river manifold on a tank that i am doing
i am thinking of running it with external filters with strainers instead
of sponges what do you think and do you think it will work ok

The issue with externals is likely to be cost against flow. They drop off their flow as things clog up (and the strainers will be no different, it'll just take longer) and they're expensive for the pump you get.

Do you have lots of spare externals lying around driving this one or did you just want equipment out of the tank, if it's the latter then you can get external pumps that can have hoses at both ends that may make the project run cheaper.

equipment out of the tank i have a two externals to do this job the strainer i would use
is the strainer that come with the external filters

In that case, no, I can see no reason why it shouldn't work, they are doing the same job as a standard manifold, just with the pumps and tubes in slightly different places. It would also allow you to mount an external heater.

ah i never thought of that but i also for got to mention that one of the filter
i am going to use is a thermo filter and has a built in heater so nearly half
way there right the next question i was going to ask what would be the best
diameter pipe to use my filter pipes 16 mm inner diameter and 22 mm external diameter

done a quick sketch of the basic manifold i am thinking of making and the spray bar type
k0rb9UD.png

You could use filter outflow pipes rather than making extra outflow manifold. this would shorten pipe work and give more flow. Then make spray bar manifold as planned
If your going to connect filters togeather, then pipe to tank then that pipe needs to be bigger about 22mm inside diameter
It would be easiest to have two pipes onto 1 or 2 spray bars
Keep pipework as short as possible and use swept bends for maximum flow

Is flow running front to back or left to right of tank

i am trying to get a flow on it like a stream i am going to put the spray bar across the tank
at the opposite end to the strainers so the flow is running from right to left i can only work with
what i can get from B&Q and other plumber merchants

In that case i'd make 2 spray bars and put one at one end and one half way down, you might want to fix these in place rather than relying on gravel to hold them. Most river manifolds are a snug fit in tank to stop them moving around

Get everything local plumbersmerchant. B&Q will be much more expensive. Also plumbers merchant will have much better knollege of all fittings you may need

i am planing on holding it down with the substrate and and tank decor the spray bar i was
thinking along the lines of s double row of holes in it and mounting it half way down the side
mind you i could split it and have one doing the double hole spray bar and one just as a venturi i think
that would work

If tank less than about 3-4' spraybar should be enough but if you want to keep hillstream or clown loach then a large manifold with jets on on bottom will be much better.
Too many or too large holes in spraybar will slow flow in tank but if holes are too small it will put extra load on pumps, you will need to balance this to make it work

I have a spraybar 2" below surface with a 700l/h filter for my clowns i also have a 700l/h powerhead 12" below surface and this moves much more water than spraybar because it has no head height or pipework to restrict flow

not planing on keeping hill stream loach or clown loaches i am keeping a few l numbers and some uaru

had a rethink to keep all the pipes to the filters in the corner and i can keep
all the spray bar pipes in the corner as well the only thing you will see is the
two pipes going to the spray bars
gJsGeEh.png

actually i am now thinking about doing away with the spray bar altogether
and just going with two nozzles

It will save a whole load of work and money. all pipework can be hidden behind tall plants. A spraybar just below surface and normal outlet in centre, near bottom should give plenty of movement.
These glass lilly pipes are ok but you still see them when they start getting dirty and their delicate. I guess that wherever theres pumps/filtration your always going to see some pipework or wires. So its all about how you hide them really

i have found a place i can get all the parts i need in solvweld

well i have started to make my manifold this is where the
pick up ;pipes will go
nAdpPL9.jpg
this is the manifold before its put in place
RHW2SIw.jpg
this is it in place with the strainers added
bE1PSs7.jpg
and the pick up pipe end i am going to have to
do some fancy pipe work at this end
BIugONS.jpg

Back