• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rivers Edge - ADA 45P - planted and filled

A gorgeous Galaxy Boy :wideyed:
- keep a photo log for his changing colour

I’ve yet to have an HMPK that doesn’t go a shrimp hunting

In a densely planted tank with lots of carpet and hardscape, it may take a few months before the Betta becomes that focused Hunter ... now my plakats need to make do with smaller, non-shrimp tanks

My most impressive Shrimp Marauders
1) a tiny licorice gourami pair, male instantly killed several shrimp that were almost as big as him (during the time it took me to find a net and collect him)
2) a lovely black orchid HM ... as above it was 60 seconds of carnage
Tank was an established Spec 19 with plants, shrimp etc

Most domestic Bettas take a while to discover the Joys of Shrimp Hunting, some become very dedicated, some remain “lazy hunters”, others just ignore the shrimp and even allow bold shrimp to steal prime treats

He was fine the first week then once he settled in he just goes after everything, luckily I didn't put my PWL shrimp in with him but still a shame for the couple of cherries that I tried in there
What is your PWL line?

I keep reading that as Pure White Line

A gorgeous Galaxy Boy :wideyed:
- keep a photo log for his changing colour

I’ve yet to have an HMPK that doesn’t go a shrimp hunting

In a densely planted tank with lots of carpet and hardscape, it may take a few months before the Betta becomes that focused Hunter ... now my plakats need to make do with smaller, non-shrimp tanks

My most impressive Shrimp Marauders
1) a tiny licorice gourami pair, male instantly killed several shrimp that were almost as big as him (during the time it took me to find a net and collect him)
2) a lovely black orchid HM ... as above it was 60 seconds of carnage
Tank was an established Spec 19 with plants, shrimp etc

Most domestic Bettas take a while to discover the Joys of Shrimp Hunting, some become very dedicated, some remain “lazy hunters”, others just ignore the shrimp and even allow bold shrimp to steal prime treats

Yeh i'll definitely be taking pics every week to keep an eye on his colours changing, will be interesting to see how he turns out as he's still quite young

He seems to be doing a good job already at taking out adult shrimp, it's a weird one as it's a natural thing for them in the wild but i'd also feel guilty if i was to 'feed' him shrimp. Did you find your bettas kill and leave or kill and eat? this guy seems to tear to shreds and eat :eek: my last betta was too slow and lazy to the point the shrimp would climb all over him if he stayed still long enough

What is your PWL line?

I keep reading that as Pure White Line

Yes Pure White Line, pics are in my other journal here - https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/buce-drift-new-arrivals-settling-in.56037/page-3#post-553045

That is a beautiful beta!

Thanks Harry :thumbup:

Move the buce I had in here to my other tank and swapped it for the anubias I had in there, also added some weeping moss to the branches

Some healthy growth, albeit slow as expected, no algae to report yet, lots of limpets annoyingly though!

Added a frosted background which I think works great with this and will be staying, unsure about the same on my main tank though

20190223_192551.jpg

Ripped out the Echinodorus Tennelus as it didn't really fit in colour wise, plus it was a bit spread out with it's runners so wouldn't really work where i had it, the Helanthium tenellum works well as it's contained in the left hand side

Soon to be replaced with Eleocharis mini and couldn't resist H. Tripartita mini after seeing it in @CooKieS tank.

Got carried away as always and added my 12th variety of buce (green variety this time) and some normal sized Tripartita for my main tank

Capture.JPG

You won't regret it, the mini hydrocotyle is one of my new fav plant; versatile, cool for nano and easy to grow. ;)

You won't regret it, the mini hydrocotyle is one of my new fav plant; versatile, cool for nano and easy to grow. ;)

Looks like the perfect transition plant from low to high level planting and between hardscape

May I ask, where are you getting the hydrocotyle mini? I love the look of it. @CooKieS @Kalum

Aquasabi are the only place i've seen it so far. Feel like i'm cheating on Aquarium Gardens :oops: but they have a slightly different stock list so use both and found them both to be great

Had a big maintenance day on my 2 tanks with some planting and minor changes, plus an 80% WC on both

Excuse the bubbles and limpets, planning to treat with esha adx to get rid (need to look into dose)

Eleocharis mini to replace the MC, it was growing well but change of heart and want to try something to add a bit more texture and depth
Screenshot_20190309-211057_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20190309-211134_Instagram.jpg

Hydrocotyle tripartita and the mini version planted to hopefully give a bit more depth and a stepped height to the back
Screenshot_20190309-211219_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20190309-211257_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
I used Gastropex to clear my limpets when I was worrying they were eating the Buce and leaving holes in leaves, (actually watched one on the Buce, observed what it was doing and where it went and it wasn't the cause of damage I saw on the Buce even after a few days monitoring the patch it fed on, the leaf was still healthy, it was eating either diatoms or algae on the leaf) wasn't going to take chances and elected to rid what I could not see. Took a few doses to get rid of them because they clamp down hard to exclude the external environment. Best method to get rid I found was to use a finger nail to exert pressure on the carapace to cause it fracture (letting in the gastropex) or break apart completely and the fish get a quick meal.

I used Gastropex to clear my limpets when I was worrying they were eating the Buce and leaving holes in leaves, (actually watched one on the Buce, observed what it was doing and where it went and it wasn't the cause of damage I saw on the Buce even after a few days monitoring the patch it fed on, the leaf was still healthy, it was eating either diatoms or algae on the leaf) wasn't going to take chances and elected to rid what I could not see. Took a few doses to get rid of them because they clamp down hard to exclude the external environment. Best method to get rid I found was to use a finger nail to exert pressure on the carapace to cause it fracture (letting in the gastropex) or break apart completely and the fish get a quick meal.

Cheers for the info mate, I've never seen then on any plant yet but I do have some damage on the anubias, its more for the untidy look they give the tank more than anything though, unfortunately I struggle to get my hand in to the tank due to the branches and would end up causing more damage to the hardscape and uprooting plants

Think I'll try a couple of bits of veg and see if that entices them...

Back