• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RO water

Lord_Lucan

Hi

Just wondered what the opinion was with using RO water for a new set up (and do the buffers work without introducing CO2 - as I wasn't planning on using CO2

Thanks

Not needed and very very very rarely usefull.
Most plants will grow fine with what comes out of your tap, luckily this makes doing large regular waterchanges ( as are needed in the start) easy.
Only exeption is chloramine and related products, these need to be removed at or before adding.

Thanks for the reply, interesting about the RO as I assumed it would help the plants - even if 50% RO

There are plants that “prefer” softer water but also plants that “prefer” harder water
Easiest is to find what does well in your tap water

I run RO/DI exclusively for Cardina shrimp (now that I'm out of saltwater). And the plants certainly never have the same growth rates in those tanks, but they aren't what I'm catering to. Unless I had ridiculously hard alkaline water coming out of the tap, I wouldn't even consider it. In my experience, even plants from soft water locales do great in moderately hard water once they get established. If I ever get out of Cardina shrimp, I'll sell that RO unit and never look back!

Back