RO Water

Wilksy

I wonder if I could trouble you for a bit of advise regarding the use of RO water in my tank, I have access to as much RO water as I need as we make it for a process at my factory. I have a Purite Select and the water produced is 100% pure as we use it for silvering glass.

My question is regarding the addition of minerals I should put back in, I am currently using Aquavitro Mineralize and wonder if this is correct or is there a better/easier obtainable product I should be using, preferably in liquid form.

lazybones51

I live in a hard water area and mix 50% RO with 50% tap. Since moving from 100% tap water to this 50/50 mix the plants are growing better than ever. As @hogan53 said it's the most straightforward way to remineralise RO water.

Witcher

@Wilksy it's also worth of checking the Mg content in your tap, in UK it's usually too low (in relation to other nutrients) even when you'll use 100% tap water so you may want to add some Mg to your RO/tap mix. MgSO4 (epsom salts) is the easiest (and probably cheapest) available source of Mg.

jaypeecee

According to my Anglian Drinking Water Quality Report my Mg has an average of 17.5 mg/l
Hi @Wilksy

OK, that's a useful figure. A magnesium level of around 10 mg/l seems to be recommended by the likes of JBL, Aquasabi and Aqua Rebell. So, doing a 50:50 mix with tap water may be the way to go. I also suggest that you keep an eye on recent threads discussing the optimum ratio for Ca:Mg:K. I use RO water remineralized using Tropic Marin Re-Mineral Tropic but I'm beginning to wonder if the mix of elements is optimized for planted tanks. I think it may contain too much potassium.

Must dash now. Back later.

JPC