• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Road to Riparium

I had a basket arrangement but found that the plants don't need substrate so I made these clips. They hold the plants securely, aren't really visible once attached and make it easy to move plants around. Long term they might restrict the plant growth but a few of the plants are growing around them so time will tell.
Tank looks great and I'm following along.
I might go that way in the future. For now I have tried to poke some moss in some of the holes of the planters, hopefully that will start to grow a bit.

I might go that way in the future. For now I have tried to poke some moss in some of the holes of the planters, hopefully that will start to grow a bit.

You could tie moss to a piece of stainless steel mesh, and tie that onto the front of the planters. Failing that, you could get these, and the black would be less visible against your black background (might need some holes drilling in them):

Amazon product ASIN B097M74YLF

I had a basket arrangement but found that the plants don't need substrate so I made these clips. They hold the plants securely, aren't really visible once attached and make it easy to move plants around. Long term they might restrict the plant growth but a few of the plants are growing around them so time will tell.
Tank looks great and I'm following along.

Those clips are a great solution - do you have a link to that wire @ScareCrow?

For now I have tried to poke some moss in some of the holes of the planters, hopefully that will start to grow a bit.

Been thinking along the same lines with regards to growing moss on the front of planters to hide them.
Any updates on how it's growing!

These are my planters 20220228_153247.jpg
Egg crate and some 3D printed end caps with aquaponic clay pebbles for substrate. 20220228_153213.jpg
Also an experimental air powered filter that pulls water through mesh and sends a wall of bubbles up through the clay pebbles. Sort of using then as filter media.

Wow, very inventive!
And a great use of a 3D printer.

Been thinking along the same lines with regards to growing moss on the front of planters to hide them.
Any updates on how it's growing!

It's about 10 days of water in the tank, so unfortunately there isn't much growth to be seen yet, especially since I don't use any CO2.
Only the spathiphyllums are really taking off already.

Wow, very inventive!
And a great use of a 3D printer
To be honest I think I get a little carried away sometimes, but this one seems worthwhile. I like the idea of passive filtration so if I can get away with just an air pump filter once plant density is maxed out that will be a win.

Looks like this works with moss using plastic mesh panels. I think they use the ones ment for needle craft sold on amazon sandwiching the moss between them.
20c10a83a73e1760fd5636399b10f2d3.jpg

Quick update:
Most plants are doing well. The hygrophila pinnatifida are shedding a few leaves, but are otherwise fine.
Only the Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba' is melting like crazy. Not sure what is going on with that. The plant on the far right seems ok, making a few underwater form leaves.
cuba-melt.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I will up the light a bit. I kept it at 25% for the startup.
Hopefully this will also help my alternanthera reineckii and Hygrophila pinnatifida. ARM is getting some holes in the leaves (potassium deficiency?) and the HP is dropping some leaves.

Thanks for the advice. I will up the light a bit. I kept it at 25% for the startup.
Oh I didnt necessarily mean that, I had to go back to check the details on your setup and youre running low tech right, no CO2?
It is possible that the light level that will make PP Cuba happy might be too much for the general tank, which is why I suggested moving the plant to a brighter spot.
I was surprised by how much of a difference this made for some plants in my tank. I should note that I dont have any personal experience with PP Cuba other than killing it off the only time I tried it 😅
But take it with a pinch of salt, maybe its entirely fine and im worrying about nothing 😊

Hopefully this will also help my alternanthera reineckii and Hygrophila pinnatifida. ARM is getting some holes in the leaves (potassium deficiency?) and the HP is dropping some leaves.
Holes in the leaves of ARM, can you post a picture? And what is your livestock?

HP is a chapter for itself, dont even get me started 😂

Oh I didnt necessarily mean that, I had to go back to check the details on your setup and youre running low tech right, no CO2?
It is possible that the light level that will make PP Cuba happy might be too much for the general tank, which is why I suggested moving the plant to a brighter spot.
I was surprised by how much of a difference this made for some plants in my tank. I should note that I dont have any personal experience with PP Cuba other than killing it off the only time I tried it 😅
But take it with a pinch of salt, maybe its entirely fine and im worrying about nothing 😊

Holes in the leaves of ARM, can you post a picture? And what is your livestock?

HP is a chapter for itself, dont even get me started 😂
16478808282281213776520660364345.jpg

16478809090663037675161364729346.jpg

Back