• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rob's 300L Perigean Beach

Re: Rob's 300L (to be named)

Glad to hear it! I'm v excited.

Still unsure of lighting but I have just ordered a load of bits. A 2kg fire extinguisher and a regulator from AE. Some CO2 tubing, check valve (glass) and a nice ceramic diffuser from Tankscape.

Lighting and filtration are the big choices now! Pretty sure I'm going to go with an eheim pro 3e with the heater built in. Purely to lessen the amount of cables and individual bits of gear. Otherwise I'd have gone with a hydor heater and another rena xp filter, as like the ones I have on the 60-P lots. (I still might, it's way cheaper).

pariahrob said:
Glad to hear it! I'm v excited.

Still unsure of lighting but I have just ordered a load of bits. A 2kg fire extinguisher and a regulator from AE. Some CO2 tubing, check valve (glass) and a nice ceramic diffuser from Tankscape.

Lighting and filtration are the big choices now! Pretty sure I'm going to go with an eheim pro 3e with the heater built in. Purely to lessen the amount of cables and individual bits of gear. Otherwise I'd have gone with a hydor heater and another rena xp filter, as like the ones I have on the 60-P lots. (I still might, it's way cheaper).

Her Rob, for a 300L I reckon you will need more than just that Eheim mate. JMHO though ;)

I reckon I'll be ok. Should be fine for filtration, along with the plants. I will probably need more flow around the tank though, so will get a couple of power heads.

Still researching lighting. Very hard to decide. I just don't know what's best!

pariahrob said:
I reckon I'll be ok. Should be fine for filtration, along with the plants. I will probably need more flow around the tank though, so will get a couple of power heads.

Still researching lighting. Very hard to decide. I just don't know what's best!

That was my point ;). Flow. Would have thought your client would have preferred fancy glassware in the tank shots rather than ugly korallias ;) You also would have the advantage that if one filter failed, you had a spare. Cost would not be any different either. Two decent powerheads vs say another XP2 or XP3. Just thinking it is already a smart looking tank NA etc) seems a shame to make it look cluttered with ugly black powerheads. But then I hate stuff in the tank, just me. Im sure whatever you will do it will look cool :thumbup:

You make a good point! For the actual photos I'll be taking out the hardware and that's what I had in my mind. But, you're right and I would get annoyed by black plastic, so maybe another filter is a good idea. Something small and simple (limited space in the cabinet what with the drawers, filter and FE).

Damn you! More decisions to make! Arghghghghg

Drawers ? In a cabinet ? what for ? o_O

pariahrob said:
Well, one normal draw for bits and bobs, a slide out tray for tools and the filter sits on a slide out platform for ease of maintenance.
Check the pictures on their site.
It makes sense.

Really!

But its a 300L tank Rob. Surely any cabinet to hold a tank that size is capable of housing two filters though ? Send me a link to their site and I will look but I havent got time to try and find it at the moment :oops:

Seen it. They need a lighting expert for their videos, lol. I can see what you mean, but personally think although it looks good, there is a lot of wasted space by having that pullout on the left positioned so low down. I daresay you could put it higher just by attaching the draw sliders where you wanted them and then the second filter could go on the left standing on the floor. Esp if you go for an XP2 with minimal media in to maximise flow. QED ;)

One thing is for sure, its a sleek looking, very cool setup.

LOL. Yeah the lighting is appalling but the product still looks good. You are probably right about that sliding tray. I bet that could be moved up closer to the drawer.

I'm not sure how the 120 version is laid out but it's a fair bit wider, so it may even have room for a small filter next to the main one.

Chris, why do I get the feeling you're about to try and sell me something? ;)

New toys have started to arrive! First up is my CO2 regulator from aquaessentials.

7513633596_08ea1033f0.jpg

First impressions are good. Feels solid and well made. Nicely finished metalwork, although the dial face is slightly scuffed. Nothing to complain about though. I'll put it through it's paces once the FE turns up.

Hopefully more to come today.

pariahrob said:
LOL. Yeah the lighting is appalling but the product still looks good. You are probably right about that sliding tray. I bet that could be moved up closer to the drawer.

I'm not sure how the 120 version is laid out but it's a fair bit wider, so it may even have room for a small filter next to the main one.

Chris, why do I get the feeling you're about to try and sell me something? ;)

Hahaha no chance. Im keeping the XP2 mate, its a cracking filter.

After a LOT of reading and some careful deliberation I decided to ditch the thermofilter idea and to go for separate heater and filter.
I love the XP2 and the hydor inline heater I have on my 60-P, so I've opted for the same again, although I'm going for the XP3 this time, rated for tanks up to 600L and 1300lph. Not the prettiest bit of gear but it works so well and the two together only cost £160, which is half the cost of the Eheim.

Now back to my lighting options. I've talked to a few people about this and there are many mixed opinions. I'm finding this to be the hardest part of all.

I like the idea of LED for weight, running costs and control but good systems are more expensive than T5.

TMC tiles vs Arcadia eco LED? I've had 50/50 reports on these two.

What do you all think? Apparently there is a swish arcadia controller on it's way soon too.

Back