• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rob's 300L Perigean Beach

Re: Rob's 300L (to be named)

Hi Rob, why not use the NA light units? Do you want more control other than height adjustment?

Just complete NA it , simples :)

Thanks mario.

At the moment it's looking like two of these:

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/arcadia ... -5999.html

You never know though. By the time I have a cuppa and read a few more reviews I could have changed my mind.

If they are good enough for TGM then I think I'll do ok. If I found I needed to add a third down the line then that could be arranged. Looking forward to seeing what controller they are releasing for them.

Hey rob, looking at you tube videos the spread doesnt seem very wide so think you would end up with 3 at least on a 120 and they arent very pretty for the money :( If your looking at that sort of money have you considered the AI sols or radions??

What do you think of the TDS meter, ive been spying those for a while now...

laters

Hi,

I was looking at them today on a reef tank and they seemed pretty good. That was with the 60 degree lenses at about a foot above the water surface. I've not looked at them with the 120 or 40 degree lens though.

Yes, I have considered those. Probably a bit out of my range for now. That's the benefit of multiple lights. I can add one over time if I need to. I don't mind the look of the ECO-LEDs. They are silent too, which is nice. Give out barely any heat either.

Get one! They are really affordable and give another indication as to what is happening in your tank. I'm still thinking of discus as a possible, so thinking about mix of RO. (and I like gadgets and toys!).

Hi Rob,
must say when i was at TGM i saw the arcadia light running and personally i didnt like the colour rendition, looked a bit pink and did seem very point source. However i dont know much about them so maybe colour can be altered?
I also agree with Iain that they are ugly, very ugly and i know this is a consideration for you with this set up.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady,

There is one that is a bit too pink. I'd leave that well alone. I'd go for the 6500k white version myself.

A few people have said they find them ugly. I don't mind them at all, although there are much prettier options out there.

I'm happy to be shown alternatives though!

I agree mate, you will need three of those Arcadias at least, and same with the TMC tiles. If I remember rightly, George ran two tiles on his 60cm tank. Mine is 80cm and I know for sure I would need two so I cant see you getting away with less than three. And thats a LOT of money !.. The alternative is halides like Mark Evans uses? He keeps them high enough not to be over powerful. Three Arcadias suspended could look pukka, but then I love the TMC stuff too. I was playing with my 1000ND and its a cool bit of kit, esp linked to the storm controller hehe.

Fui those arcadias look ugly and there was long discussion about the spread :)
You will spoil a look of a setup.
As a photographer going for LEDs i doubt you will enjoy them. Shimmer is although nice could be tiring. You are stuck with one colour rendition to look at unless you go for 2x Radeon units which would cost you around 1200-1300 :D
T5, PC or a combo of either of them with halides is a way to go :geek:

Get one tile though, and a storm controller !!! ITS FUN !!! I have a thunderstorm going on in my bedroom right now. Its wicked. I've always loved storms, now I can have one to order :clap: :lol:

pariahrob said:
Yep. More I see and read the more I agree. I think I've been looking at it all wrong. I need to keep the photography in mind more.

I like the look of the NA pendants too. Nice metalwork.
Yeah, i think pendant is the way to go especially with reference the photography. I dont understand anything about lighting etc, but know people do use the actual aquarium lighting as well as additional sources. Im sure from what i can remember those arcadia units have a very cumbersome clamp system which sits on the aquarium glass and actually has the fixing going under the water surface...not a good look on photos to have a plastic clamp in the tank.... i know how you rimless, braceless open topped tank users like to keep your water level high ;)

Those Arcadia clamps are hideous. If I did get them they'd be suspended but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced by a pendant. The NA one with t5s and a burst of MH for 'noon' is tempting me.

Water right to the top! Watched one of my amanos swim up and sit on the rim today. He decided it wasn't as exciting out and dived back in. Oddest thing I've seen in a while. I didn't even know they broke the surface!

Ady34 said:
pariahrob said:
Yep. More I see and read the more I agree. I think I've been looking at it all wrong. I need to keep the photography in mind more.

I like the look of the NA pendants too. Nice metalwork.
Yeah, i think pendant is the way to go especially with reference the photography. I dont understand anything about lighting etc, but know people do use the actual aquarium lighting as well as additional sources. Im sure from what i can remember those arcadia units have a very cumbersome clamp system which sits on the aquarium glass and actually has the fixing going under the water surface...not a good look on photos to have a plastic clamp in the tank.... i know how you rimless, braceless open topped tank users like to keep your water level high ;)

Ady, you can also get suspension kits for them. They look pretty cool ;)

pariahrob said:
Those Arcadia clamps are hideous. If I did get them they'd be suspended but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced by a pendant. The NA one with t5s and a burst of MH for 'noon' is tempting me.

Water right to the top! Watched one of my amanos swim up and sit on the rim today. He decided it wasn't as exciting out and dived back in. Oddest thing I've seen in a while. I didn't even know they broke the surface!
i ran metal halides on my high tech and the effect and growth i felt couldnt be beaten with just t5s alone but thats my personal opinion

:lol: yep, ive seen my amanos on a few occasions crawling up the emmersed wood on my tank o_O

Back