• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rob's 300L Perigean Beach

pariahrob

Hi all,

well this hobby has well and truly rooted itself in my life and I will soon be taking delivery of a completely new setup. This is partly down to me wanting a bigger tank to scape but also work related. As a designer and photographer I write a fair bit for a few magazines. I regularly chat to the editors and mentioned my love of aquascaping and now I have been asked to write a feature on photographing them.
This means I can justify a new setup and can spend more time on doing the photos properly, rather than the random snaps you'll see in my other two journals.

I ummed and ahhed about which way to go and what equipment to get, with thoughts of closed topped Eheim or a couple of other cheaper options but in the end it was easy to decide to go for another open top tank. They offer a lot more opportunity for scaling and will be way easier to light for photographs.

I won't say much about the gear til it arrives but it will be a nice panoramic aspect, at 120 x 50 x 50 cm super clear glass and a nicely crafted cabinet (unlike my hand built job, which is ok but not good enough for national publication!)

So, now I have to start thinking about scaping, planting and fish! I'm thinking I should have some nice wood in this one, so if you see any decent looking manzi let me know!

I was toying with the idea of discus but I'm not sure I could have an otto free tank now and I've been told they don't get on, as the ottos find the Discus' slimy sides too tasty to resist!

I think I'm set on an Eheim filter. Probably a pro 3e with the heater built in. Just to reduce clutter. Lighting is as yet undecided. There are some new options on the horizon, so I may hang on til then. It's probably going to be nearly a fortnight til the gear arrives but I'll start showing some photos then and in the meantime I'm open to ideas for flora and fauna.

RR

Rob's 300L (to be named)

Look forward to reading :)

Juwel rio 180
2 angels
2 Siamese flying foxes
3 yo yo loaches
4 Julii corys
10 guppys

Re: Rob's 300L (to be named)

Well, it's getting closer and the excitement is building.

I've opted for Natural Aquario for this tank. First lot of gear is on it's way, so lots of photos will be taken soon.
I wanted another open top optiwhite ideally and NA do a variety of glass types. This will be their super crystal clear glass, which is apparently clearer than optiwhite.

The cabinets look awesome. Nice and clean and contemporary, with a lovely black wood finish. What I love is the attention to detail. Inside the cabinet are a draw on one side, storage on the insides of the doors, for ferts and so on. A tool draw for all the layout/maintenance gear and a slide out bottom on one side, for the filter to sit on making it easy to get to for maintenance.

I've also got a light support coming, which also looks great and attaches at the sides, so won't get in the way for photography, which is 50% of what this tank is all about.

On top of that I'm trying out there substrates, ferts and water additives, plus lily pipes (although I'm told there is a new set of glassware in development).

I've also got some fantastic looking manzi on the way, so will start looking for rock now and setup a few 'dry' scopes to decide on my layout.

where did you get your manzi from in the end mate natural aquario portugese company arent they ? will be following this one with much interest my wife is from maderia so may encourage her to let me get a bigger tank for the lounge if she wants to support the portugese economy :lol:

where did you get your manzi from in the end mate natural aquario portugese company arent they ? will be following this one with much interest my wife is from maderia so may encourage her to let me get a bigger tank for the lounge if she wants to support the portugese economy :lol:

Hi Tim,

I got it from Eboeagles on here. Not sure if he has any left but it was in the for sale section.

Yes, that's right. NA is from Portugal. Go for it! Great looking gear. Hope the reality is as good as the reports and the photos! I have high hopes.

Blimey mate ! Sounds like you got the bug proper bad ! Cant wait to see this one :thumbup:

You know how it is Chris. Always something in the works!

Here is the wood I have on the way:
7496009428_805e2bca78.jpg

7496009294_20040b0739.jpg

Lovely looking pieces. Now I need to decide on the other hardscape. I can't decide between mini landscape rock or some large smooth pebbles/rocks. I'm also going to go for very pale/white sand at the front of this scape (this may change).

Quite excited about using wood in a scape too. The nano shrimp tank doesn't count. That's not really scaped.

I have also bought some nice manzy from Eboeagles and it aarrived today. I am collecting bits for a re-scape.

Really like your other tank so can't wait for this one to get going. I personally prefer scapes with wood so if the plants look as good as your other one and you get the manzy scaped nicely this will be amazing.

Andy

Go for the smoooooth pebbles and rocks - I always think they look best with sand. Although....thinking of Cornish beaches with rugged rocks and white sand...they look good, too. Hmmmm, tricky decision!

Tricky one Sarah. I just can't decide. Maybe when the wood arrives I'll get more of a fee for what is best.

Ok, everybody. Help please! Looking at lighting for this tank and I just can't decide what to go for. I know and like the arcadia OT2, so that's an easy option.
The TMC LED tiles look nice and the power controller looks good but I'd need two or three tiles, so expensive. APS do a T5 luminaire which looks would do the job at an reasonable price but isn't too pretty to look at.

I've been searching for ages and my head is about to implode! Suggestions please...

depending on your budget, personally i would go for an ATI T5 dimmable. Flexibility and control is the key to just buying one light unit that will last, T5's have soo much to offer and the dimmable ones do it all with a cherry on top.

Once the hardscape arrives it will come together and have a natural feel to how its laid out. Looking forward to seeing this all come together, love the tank dimensions Rob.

Do you have an idea of the plant choices?

Plus one for what Iain just said. There is one for sale on the for sale section i think. Its a 6 bulber but has all the control and flexibility to manage this. Ill try find you the link to it. I so wanted this light :D
EDIT: heres the link: http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22068.
Looking forward to this set up Rob, i have a feeling its gonna be a belter!
Ady.

Hi Rob, it has 39w bulbs so im 'guessing' 3 foot unit (pm the seller or look on tinternet)...maybe too short for your requirements, bummer!...you could raise it higher though to get more light spread and ramp up the power 8) :lol:
Not sure about how it compares to the grobeams, they too have versatility with the controllers but have never researched them. May have been George Farmer who ran 2 on his shallow scape and said they were great but he preferred the colour rendition of t5's...i think!
Just get yourself a one of the new ADA led light units :wideyed:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cheers Ady,

I think they are 88cm too. I've PM'd the seller. I was thinking of a more island style scape for this tank, so 15cm each end not directly under the lamp might not be too bad. It's a nice looking unit.

From what I've seen the grobeams are nice but I have a feeling I'd need three, which means more cost and a more expensive controller!

Hmm ADA. Don't tempt me. Actually I don't think their LEDs are available for my size tank. I wish.

RR

Back