• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rob's 300L Perigean Beach

Re: Rob's 300L (to be named)(week 1 photos)

Hi Rob,

L134's are beautiful (I have 5) but there are a few issues you may face. Firstly they are now very expensive to buy the Maidenhead stores near me now want £75 for a small juvenile so you would need to source them carefully. Secondly mine like to bury themselves / dig holes in my substrate. So if you have sand / soil areas I think they could destroy it and mix it all together. Thirdly they like to mine under my wood hardscape while making their sand holes. You would need to make sure this is secure so it doesn't move.

Just thought I would point out my observations.

Andy

I know, I know. About time. I hear you (that means you Chris).

Well, I have finally made some progress today and spent a lovely afternoon planting and setting up.

Here are the plants I used.

Rotalla rotundefolia
Rotalla macrandra
Pogostemon erectus
Pogostemon helferi
Hemianthus callicatroides
Hydrocotyl sp
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Anubias barteri
Anubias nana
Echinodorus bleheri
Weeping moss

7598339364_fc47a523e7.jpg

The weeping moss was first up. This was my first go with 1-2-grow and I have to say I like it. Really nice quality and health. You get a surprising amount once it's washed and separated.

7598343298_302faf40d3.jpg

I managed to get the moss and anubias tied to the wood. Not something I would do on my own again. Definitely a two person job but did it and got the wood back in the tank. Also remembered to keep spraying the moss while I worked.

7598336878_dc2eb9e481.jpg

Stems next and the two rotallas. I got these from AE. Two pots gave me a load of plants! This is the macrandra. Lovely and healthy and with some nice colour. Hope my replacements lights turn up soon, so I can keep the red ends.

7598338040_fbaa55fc65.jpg

Got some water in the tank and started on the rest of the plants. This substrate (NA) isn't quite as easy to plant in as amazonia so I ended up planting bigger than normal clumps of HC. One pot divided into about 6 pieces. I had five pots. Pogostemon helferi was next. It's quite a buoyant plant and I have a couple of floaters which I'll replant this evening.

The rest of the plants went in:

7598340672_3dff8610d8.jpg

So this is how it stands now. This photo was taken before I added anything. I'm using NA ferts stage 1 and K, plus an iron supplement and easycarbo. I've started CO2 injection too, so will spend some time sorting out levels. I've added sera nitrivec and the filter has been running for a few days now, with media from a well established filter, so hopefully cycling will be quick.

7598342018_054724ba9c.jpg

I'll now be watching and adjusting. Flow looks good (one benefit of cloudy nitrivec). Some of the stems are caught and need releasing but I'll let them bed in a little first. Tank is also quite cool, so heater is needing to work hard.

Params:

TDS 165
PH 6.9
GH 12

Ammonia and nitrates I haven't checked. No point this early. That's it for now. I'll update soon and take some proper pictures once things clear and settle. Very pleased with the layout and once the HC establishes itself I think will look really nice. Stems will give nice height and the hydrocotyl and pogo round the cobbles will soften things a bit.

Cheers all!

Hi Rob. Once you have used the initial dose of nitrivec, as soon as it has cleared you can add a maintenance dose. The faster it clears, the closer you are to full cycle. Doing this in mine, it took 10 days !!! Looks like you had a busy afternoon mate, looking really great. Love those cobble stones.

How does this size tank feel compared to your smaller one ?

I didn't know that. The first lot cleared after about two hours. I'll run down and put more in now then!
No hurry though. Fish are ordered and won't be here for a while anyway.

Yeah I'm pleased I went for cobbles. Not that common and look really nice (well I think so).

Lol. It feels huge! The other tank is a couple of feet away from it and now looks tiny. Still looks good though. I think the ottos are eyeing up this and hoping for a chance to explore. They'll be jealous when they see the sterbai arrive!

I think its more than the Ottos who are eyeing up your tank and feeling jealous !!! hahaha.

Did you put a full amount in (14ml per 25L which would be 168ml) ? If it cleared that quick for a full dose so early I would say your seeded filter is doing a fine job !

True, the black widows are looking a bit green eyed as well ;)

Yep, that was a full dose. I did a second last night as mentioned and that had cleared this morning too, so looking good. I'm glad I got the other filter on the job nice and early!

Only one floater this morning. A pogo helferi had decided it wanted a swim. Otherwise all looking good and it's warmed up too. 27 degrees when I woke up. I want to run it at 29 really, so lets hope the hydor can do it, as I really don't want another heater.

pariahrob said:
True, the black widows are looking a bit green eyed as well ;)

Yep, that was a full dose. I did a second last night as mentioned and that had cleared this morning too, so looking good. I'm glad I got the other filter on the job nice and early!

Only one floater this morning. A pogo helferi had decided it wanted a swim. Otherwise all looking good and it's warmed up too. 27 degrees when I woke up. I want to run it at 29 really, so lets hope the hydor can do it, as I really don't want another heater.

Looking great rob,
As far as the pogo helferi, they always do! I find ha.
Keep it up! :)

Just seen a nice Discus and cardinal display at my LFS. Running at 27, Discus and cardinals nicely coloured :) Is it essential to have it higher for them generally ?

Personally. I love the red melons. Have you posted pics of the planting?

I'm liking panaks and red pigeon bloods. Still researching though.
Yep, photos are up above!

Today I add a crinum and a number of Myriophyllum mezianum.

I think I've dialled in the CO2 now. Got back from the office and the DC was on the slightly lime side of green, just where I want it. That's 5 bubbles per second for my particular setup.

Temperature is now a steady 29 degrees. All looking good and even better news is that replacement lights are in the post!

Hmmm they not showing up on tapatalk I may have to get laptop out

Sorry James. I haven't looked on tapatalk for a while. Hope you can see everything on the laptop!

Tim, thanks! I haven't decided on the L number yet. I have a few to choose from. I'd like something that is quite vibrant I think but not too big.

This is an interesting video... thought it might be useful for you :)

easerthegeezer - yes I read that. Interesting how many opinions there are about discus.

Cheers Chris - I watched that a few weeks ago. Interesting video.

I think what I will do is decide on the type of discus I want and then talk to the breeder I buy from and get my water close to theirs. That seems like the sensible option to me.

I got up this morning and found some of my manzi has a fine haze of white fluff on it. Any ideas what it is? It had been submerged for a week or so and boiled before I out it in the tank.

Hey Rob, Iain is right. Its not a problem. I didnt like looking at it so used a toothbrush on it and let the filter handle it, but Amanos or Ottos should much it up.

Back