• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rock guys

lurcher

Have brought some ironstone rocks home from local quarry,lovely red colour,and have read different opinions on suitability for aquarium,somebody on the forum will know,safe or not? Please advise me you rock guys. Thanks .You Rock.

Hi all,
Have brought some ironstone rocks home from local quarry,lovely red colour,and have read different opinions on suitability for aquarium
It is fine. <"https://glnp.org.uk/images/uploads/services/geodiversity-strategy/building-stones-web.pdf">. It will be a <"Jurassic age Oolitic limestone / sandstone / mudstone">, with some ferric iron staining, which give it the colour.

Jurassic sequence.png

The question really with all rocks is "how hard is your water?" If you have hard water (and I'll guess you do) no rock you add to the tank will <"make any difference to the tank waters composition">. In this case the rock is (at least partially) limestone, so would harden softer water.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

It is fine. <"https://glnp.org.uk/images/uploads/services/geodiversity-strategy/building-stones-web.pdf">. It will be a <"Jurassic age Oolitic limestone / sandstone / mudstone">, with some ferric iron staining, which give it the colour.

View attachment 200915
The question really with all rocks is "how hard is your water?" If you have hard water (and I'll guess you do) no rock you add to the tank will <"make any difference to the tank waters composition">. In this case the rock is (at least partially) limestone, so would harden softer water.

cheers Darrel
Wow, you know where to find everything! Do you know if these kinds of things exist for other counties or is it just something Lincolnshire have done? I wouldn't know where to start with a search.

Hi all,
Do you know if these kinds of things exist for other counties or is it just something Lincolnshire have done?
There will be a <"geological map for every county">. Some areas (<"Lake District for example">) will have a vast amount of literature, other, less geologically exciting, counties much less.

There may also be <"enthusiast"> web pages, often to do with <"industrial archaeology and mining">.

There are some very good web pages for the Wessex coast written by Ian West, formerly of Southampton University. <"Geology of the Wessex Coast, Southern England by Ian West - Index and Home Page">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

There will be a <"geological map for every county">. Some areas (<"Lake District for example">) will have a vast amount of literature, other, less geologically exciting, counties much less.

There may also be <"enthusiast"> web pages, often to do with <"industrial archaeology and mining">.

There are some very good web pages for the Wessex coast written by Ian West, formerly of Southampton University. <"Geology of the Wessex Coast, Southern England by Ian West - Index and Home Page">.

cheers Darrel
Thank you, I appreciate your help!

Back