• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rocks affects on water.

Gjags90

Seedling
Hey guy i'm looking for some rocks to use for the first time, but i want to use some that won't change my water at all! All the rocks i've seen on various sites so far would slightly raise my PH. Can anyone list me some rock types that wont alter my water. thank you.

Hi all,
Can anyone list me some rock types that wont alter my water. thank you.
Rounded cobbles are pretty safe, it is only really hard rocks that form rounded cobbles and really hard rocks won't change water chemistry. <"Millstone Grit "> would be an example or any of the various Granite type igneous rocks.

Same applies to all really old rocks, Carboniferous age limestones are fairly inert, even though they are made of limestone.

cheers Darrel

Hi
What fish U plan on keeping (breeding) in the tank so U are affraid of PH swinging a little.Many on here have CO2 injection systems and have PH swings of 1 point or more on daily basis.And their fish doesn't really care and are triving.
Dragon stone is a inert one as is basically clay
Regards Konsa

So, im planning on getting apisto agassizzi, chili rasbora and maybe dwarf cory's. I wont be using C02. there's just that many different types of rock to choose from haha. dragon stone looks nice, so does maple leaf rock.But like i said I just wasn't sure which type of rock buffered the PH up and which ones didn't, cheers guys!!

If not sure the vinegar test andor leaving in a bucket of water with a known PH, checking after several days to see if PH his altered. The ones you mention have minimal effect as widely used .Granite ,Slate available at garden centres are a option

Last edited:
Back