• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rocks - Ok in the aquarium?

OwenF

Seedling
Hi there,

I manage to 'borrow' these rocks from a quarry that I dive occasionally. I've given them a good scrub and soaked them for a bit.
dscf5259.jpg

dscf5260.jpg

Im just wondering if these funny colours in the rock are some sort of ore that will leach into the water. Is there anything I should do, like boil them - is this just shoving them in a pan of boiling water for a min or two? i hope they are ok to use
dscf5261.jpg

dscf5270.jpg

And, seeing as im in the right place: My new piece of sumatra driftwood from MA@Chichester
dscf5269.jpg

Regards,
Owen

I would say that if it looks like there are metalic ore's in the rock to miss them as they'll leach it into the water. Do you know what type of quarry it is? Otherwise they look fine to me, good find.

I've just done a bit of research and I found out the quarry was once extracting limestone. It would seem that this rock would in fact then be Carboniferous Limestone formed from mainly calcium based materials. So I guess unless I want KH through the roof, these won't be going into the aquarium.
Anyone need some door stops? :lol:

Owen

EDIT: Gratts, the quarry is vobster quay down in somerset, ever visited?

Nope, wrong side of the country!
Looks like a very similar setup to Stoney Cove up here though - great stuff (if you have a dry suit! :lol:)

Back