• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Roma 240 Rainbow Slate/Dragonstone/Wood hardscape.

Whagwan

Just found this section of the forum so will post here!

Mostly finished my hardscape last night but some fiddling to be done on small stone and wood placement.

What do you think?!?

1645537815023.png

Yup, will be heavily planted and carpetted to the left with exposed sand to the right around the wood (with lots of epiphytes).

Nice :)

Spotted you're from Bristol. I moved from Bristol to Warminster a couple of years ago. Used to frequent The Aquatic Store in Bedminster whenever I needed anything (or even when I didn't need anything, just to take a look!) Check it out if you haven't already :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm a regular there as I live just around the corner. The unipac sand, dragonstone and half the wood came from there and all the plants will be...

Is that a Fluval tank? If so where did you get the wide nozzles on the outflow from? Mine are the standard ones on a 407 and those look much better for a more gentle flow.

Thanks
Stuart

Is that a Fluval tank? If so where did you get the wide nozzles on the outflow from? Mine are the standard ones on a 407 and those look much better for a more gentle flow.

Thanks
Stuart
Assume it's this piece

My new Fluval Shaker came with one like this...

IMG_9457.jpg

No probs.

It's a Fluval Roma 240. I picked up the tank second hand so had no input into the outtakes, it came with an FX6 so if these may have been transplanted over by the previous owner.

Welcome to UKAPS. The dragon stone looks a bit odd. Have you got any large pieces of the foreground stone. to replace. Good start though just my thought

Cheers, I don't have any other, and I was quite keen on using the dragonstone as a planting surface for epiphytes. Do you think it looks more natural with the two pieces butted together? Seems like it leaves a lot of space to the left if I centered on the third like below...

1646000664893.png

Hi
Tbh it looks like your left and right sides are two completely different tanks.Nothing wrong with having different texture stones if you like the look but I will recommend to add some more wood to the left side to try to blend both sides together.
Regards Konstantin

Not sure if I read up above, but does the cave have a purpose? It feels quite artificial that it is facing directly out of the tank. I would adjust your front line of stones so they are not completely straight. Maybe adjust the entrance to the cave so that it is not perfectly perpendicular to the glass.

I've had and idea to do an edge of a Forrest like this, with carpets on one side and Forrest on the other. But I agree that it looks like two separate tanks. If you built up the Forrest so that there was a small cliff between it and the grass, that migh provide rational for how these two different ecosystems are directly next to each other.

The dragon stone could work as a small mountain but I would be tempted to either leave it out or break it up to smaller pieces and make it more jagged and less uniform. Not sure though

The two tanks thing was intentional tbh, originally I had natural coloured sand around the wood pieces to the right but this looked even odder!

Good call on using more wood to blend them together though...

I've added some more wood to bring it all together more, I'm going to get another piece to come up to the surface along the right edge of the dragonstone roughly where the red line is in the photo.

20220313_201914.jpg
I'm also going to add some more small bits of wood (like those used on the left) around the base of the larger bits on the right hand side, and move the smaller pieces of dragonstone and slate to make it more contiguous.

The filters almost cycled now so not too long to planting. I've got the first weekend of April pencilled in as it's the first weekend after payday...

Back