• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roma 240 strip down

hippyhaplos

Seedling
Hi everyone,

So after joining this site years ago, and not posting AFAIK, I’m back.

My Roma 240l has been set up over 4 years now. There’s a mixture of sand/gravel/rocks and wood alongside silk and struggling Anubias and java. There’s a 8”+ featherfin synodontis who is a bruiser, a Kuhli loach, 5-6 mixed tetras/danios, a krib, an angel and 3 bristlenose.

I always try and go for a planted ‘amazon-esque’ tank and always fail :(

I’m happy to invest in decent substrate, but my fear is ammonia etc leaching and a possible tank crash... happened before hence my mish mash of fish.

Is there a soil I can use that won’t leach ammonia? Or would gravel with tablet feed work? Looking at waves of giant vallis etc so nothing too hard!

TIA

Dan

hippyhaplos

If you are going "LowTech" a 1-3mm natural gravel works perfectly. That is the only substrate I used. I used fert tabs and liquid ferts.

Leaching Ammonia is only a temporary concern as many members can confirm its just a simple matter of doing the correct water changes and plenty of plants to speed it up.

Keith:wave::wave:

Welcome back to UKAPS. You could try Tropica Aquarium Soil it doesn't give off much of an ammonia spike. Either way it sounds like you must have a mature filter anyway, so it shouldn't cause you any problems, water changes will also help.

Back