• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Root tab ingredients?

Mattant1984

Hi all,

Would this be acceptable ingredients for a root tab? (See pic)

Many thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230109_142420_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230109_142420_eBay.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 95
Hi all,
Would this be acceptable ingredients for a root tab?
Probably, if you used it very sparingly.

You would really need to know what the nitrogen (N) source is, because you have 17% N and if that was mainly ammonia (NH3) you could end up with toxic levels, if you have livestock in the tank. If we assume that nitrogen is all as nitrate (NO3-) <"that is 17 x 4.43 = 75 NO3">.

As N : P : K that is 17 : 4 : 9 or 75 : 4 : 9 as NO3 : P : K

I'd also personally prefer something with less nitrogen in it as a ratio <"Solufeed 2:1:4">.

cheers Darrel

Many thanks @dw1305 I'm basically after a root tab to use as well as the solufeed because I am planning of getting some large amazon swords in the tank and I know they are heavy root feeders, any suggestions??

Hi all,
I'm basically after a root tab to use as well as the solufeed because I am planning of getting some large amazon swords in the tank and I know they are heavy root feeders, any suggestions??
I'll be honest I'm not really a root tab fan. I'm always worried about <"controlled release"> becoming <"uncontrolled release">.

All plants can be fed via the water column, roots only take up nutrients as ions from solution, so there aren't really any plants that are heavy root feeders exclusively. Have a look at @Filip Krupa 's <"monster tank">. He says <"(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST">
......... You know how they always say "swords are heavy root feeders!" All my swords grow well, in inert substrate and no root tabs. I guess its how Clive always says, do EI dosing and you wont have to worry about ferts. Check out my echinodorus cordifolius. I bought it because I read its the largest growing one. I actually wish it stayed the size it is. See for yourselves........

Having said all that I used to make <"some DIY"> root tabs and <"they were fine">. I just had <"Growmore"> and / or <"Vitax Q4"> to hand at the time, they aren't necessarily the best choices, but I do like the <"dried, rolled clay"> aspect of them and if I went back to DIY I'd definitely use clay again.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks Darrel I'll take a look at that video, I mean if I don't need them I would rather not, and just continue to use the Solufeed as it seems to be working well

Many thanks @dw1305 I'm basically after a root tab to use as well as the solufeed because I am planning of getting some large amazon swords in the tank and I know they are heavy root feeders, any suggestions??
one osmocote pellet every 2 weeks for each target plant will do the trick. given that you are using a single pellet, there is a very low risk of uncontrolled release... and amazon swords grow so fast, they'll vacuum up all the excess nutrients from water column anyway. :D

Back