• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Root tabs and EI

Jamiemurphy777

So guys I need abit of help, this is also my first ever post on a forum so if this is in the wrong place.

First question, is there any point in using root tabs from the start is I have soil and then a plant substrate underneath. I have a load of root tabs but feel like they may not be needed at the beginning.

Second question, with EI how do you calculate how much you should put in? What I mean by this is obviously you 'overdose' but how do you estimate roughly what you should put in and how much is too much or is there no such thing as too much.

Thanks

Hiya @Jamiemurphy777
Different people will have differing opinions on using root tabs, for me if you're using aqua soil and full ei then they aren't needed.

Regards the levels required for full ei, I'd suggest you give this article a read.

To work out how to reach the desired ppm levels for your given tank volume you can use this excellent calculator.

Or this one.

Failing that just ask and somebody will work it out for you.

Cheers.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum :)

EI dosing is all about dosing in a abundance and regular weekly 50% Water Changes (WC). The weekly 50% WC helps prevent any excess build up of nutrients not being used, but more importantly the 50% WC keeps the levels of Dissolved Organic Compounds ( DOC) low which help control algae. The level of EI dosing varies a little depending on the number of plants you have the type or intensity of your lights and if your using CO2 or not. If your tank is over 100litres then making your own ferts is well worth it and not hard to do.

Most/many folk use a full EI dose when using CO2 injection esp when first staring a tank and with time they dial back the dose in small steps if the plants are healthy, then the first sign the plants are not getting enough nutrients just up the dose a little.

With time and experience there are other dosing regimes which can be used, however EI dosing is a great place to start as it has been used by many folks and got great results.

Thanks for the replies.

I've used fertilisers with all my planted tanks. I'm about 4 years into this journey now and have good success with some tanks and learned from mistakes with others. I've always just used a basic fertiliser though. I've been using co2 for a couple of years now and I'm pretty comfortable with using it.

I just feel like EI will take my scapes to the next level aslong as I do it right.

I may start a journal on my new scape that I'm starting this week.

If your soil is new/fresh (such as ADA Amazonia or other rich substrates), there is no need to add root tabs. Those can be added in a few months when the soil starts show sings of depletion. That can take anywhere from 3-6 month to over a year depending how much plants you have in there and if you are CO2 injecting.

As for EI, @John q and @Zeus. gave you some good advice. Using the IFC calculator will allow you to have an idea, first of all about what EI means to different producers, but also you'll be able to chose what you want to do. One thing to keep in mind though, don't get caught up into a fert tunnel vision. Light and CO2 should be your primary concerns specially when starting a new setup.

Back