• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Root tabs recipe

Bhavik

I want to have a go at making some root tabs for myself I currently have a sand substrate and general look tech plants Amazon swords crypts things like that

I have some gel capsules but I don’t know what to fill them with or what to use? I was thinking of using miracle grow all purpose fertiliser?

Would this work? And if so how much would I need to use?

If you use gel capsules they would dissolve in the substrate within minutes/hours and release all the contents at once. That would possibly lead to problems.
Why don't you use Osmocote tabs?

If you use gel capsules they would dissolve in the substrate within minutes/hours and release all the contents at once. That would possibly lead to problems.
Why don't you use Osmocote tabs?
I didnt actually think of that!
But with the Osmocote tabs wouldnt they be the same a dissolve quickly as im guessing you would need to put them in something to get them in the substrate?

There a thread about this here

Wouldn't root tabs/osmocote in SAND just go straight to water column?
It is true that adsorption on silica sand is relatively weak. But a 'clean' silica sand will not remain clean for long; immediately after establishing a tank, spaces among the grains get filled with detritus, decaying roots, and most of all, microbial mats. Together they form a sediment with quite remarkable adsorption ability for many nutrients.
(Note: CEC can be understood as a specific case of adsorption.)

A few weeks ago, I performed a primitive test on the speed of diffusion of potassium permanganate. It took two days to move across some 3 cm of sand. It's important to remember that (1) that sand was really 'clean', (2) the concentration gradient was huge, therefore the diffusion speed was many times higher.

That said, I never use any kind of root tabs. I dose ferts solely to water column. That does not mean that fertilizing to the roots is bad. I just hesitate to try it because I find it too risky.

Osmocote has some patented porous epoxy coating and it takes an awfully long time for them to dissolve in wet conditions. I regularly buy potted pond plants that are always stored with soaking damp soil and with repotting them I always find these strange little yellow balls in the soil. At first, I always thought these were some kind of insect eggs or something. Later I realized it was Osmocote® Then I bought some Osmocote cones and started using it myself and stick 'm in the submerged pots of the pond plants and never experienced any negative effects. So i guess it can't be that bad in aquarium soil that is actully similar to a large submerged plant pot with more than 1 plant.

It's a patented ® brand that licence other Trademarks to use their product. Whatever you find looking like this
Nd9GcRNPGSJGCvahQv_ryTCbm5zNS0toCdJ1GXIqg&usqp=CAU.jpg
or this
1684834248758.jpeg

Regardless of the brand name on the bag/box, Pocon or Substral etc., you can be sure it simply is Osmocote® they are the only ones making it. You might need to consider the NPK + ratio, but I have no idea what the best all-around balance would be for submerged plants. Sinds what they need could be different per species. For example, Nymphaea nurseries recommend NPK: 10-08-17+2Mgo cones for water lilies.

Back