• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rootey wood

Alastair

Saw this on my walk out today im going back for it shortly with a saw if anyone wants it

ygysebur.jpg

py8e2e5a.jpg

Hi all,
Looks good and looks like Elder (Sambucus nigra), which is a bit of a funny wood, the young stems are really soft and pithy, but as it gets older it becomes very solid, hard and dense. Buddleia is similar, soft and pithy when young, but really hard when its older. I've used both of them and they last really well.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Looks good and looks like Elder (Sambucus nigra), which is a bit of a funny wood, the young stems are really soft and pithy, but as it gets older it becomes very solid, hard and dense. Buddleia is similar, soft and pithy when young, but really hard when its older. I've used both of them and they last really well.

cheers Darrel

Great thanks darrel I think ill be cutting it and keeping it for myself then

That's good to know about the buddleia, I'll start keeping the old dead wood I trim off!

Viv

Not sure I would trust Buddleia! It took me 30 years to finally kill off a rogue bush in the garden. With my luck it would just start growing in a tank even if dried out in an oven - they seem to be totally indestructible.

That's true for the 'normal' buddleia but some of he others are a bit fussier. I've got several and the globular and variegated ones in particular aren't as rampant and don't seed themselves in the garden - actually neither has the white one :)

Viv

Hi all,
That's true for the 'normal' buddleia but some of he others are a bit fussier. I've got several and the globular....
Buddleia globosa has nice hard heart wood. If you want a late flowering one that has loads of flowers and doesn't set any seed Buddleia x weyeriana <http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=271> is perfect. You usually see the yellow "Sun-gold" (that is the one I got my wood from), but "Moonlight" is a bit different.

cheers Darrel

I’ve used buddleja root. I think it might have been davidii. It took some time to sink it but it worked well. I dug it out of the Denver Botanic garden one spring when they were remodeling the perennial garden. Such are the rewards of volunteering. The best part was that it stayed light in color.

Hi all, Buddleia globosa has nice hard heart wood. If you want a late flowering one that has loads of flowers and doesn't set any seed Buddleia x weyeriana <http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=271> is perfect. You usually see the yellow "Sun-gold" (that is the one I got my wood from), but "Moonlight" is a bit different.

cheers Darrel

Ooo they look nice, mine is just the golden ball one. I've got 5 buddleias already but I might have to get another!

Viv

Back