• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roots Dyed Dark - Low Tech Blackwater (updated 08-04-14)

I'd be happy to pass them over to DTL, i know he would look after them properly. Its a little while away yet, but i'll give hime a shout a little closer to the time.
Thanks for the consideration Lee. Just let me know if an when, and I'd be delighted to make a trip South to pick 'em up.:thumbup:

Thanks for the consideration Lee. Just let me know if an when, and I'd be delighted to make a trip South to pick 'em up.:thumbup:

No probs at all, i'd be happy to know they're going to a good home. I'll give you a shout when i know whats happening. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1401821455][/DOUBLEPOST]
So making plans for a Rainbow tank now??;) Go research and copy a nice biotope in a tank.

Like this Ed :)

20070523_wilhelma_pallud_zpse732efb4.jpg

Ahhh no sorry to hear of the choccos lee. Breaks my heart hearing of total losses especially when someone keeps them in optimum conditions. Sounds to me like they may have had Dwarf gourami disease.
Such sad news mate.
Any problems with rehoming the paros there's a lake here for them.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Wow!!! Thats awesome, Alastair. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind. How many litres are you thinking?

I'm thinking 250x150x150, what ever that equates to. Roughly 5600 litres???
Not at all, as long as you have an open door policy :)

Always mate. Dans been, BigTom has, Gary is stopping by at some point soon plus I'm Having the garden done soon decked etc so ukaps bbq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Alastair! I know mate, its soul destroying. Especially as i'm so stringent with maintenance and cleanliness, its such a shame. There was no indicators at all they just seemed to fade away overnight :([DOUBLEPOST=1401828887][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm thinking 250x150x150, what ever that equates to. Roughly 5600 litres???

Thats awesome mate, i can't wait to see it up and running.

I've got some plans for a future project. I'm thinking of going full scale biotope, but with a south east asian theme. Similar to the picture above. It will be a while off yet though :)

Thanks Tim. I'm not sure what happened, the paro's are all fine though, and up to business as usual. The same goes for the other inhabitants, thats what so strange, only the chocco's suffered :( Like Alastair and Ed have said they could have been sick before i got them.

I'm a UKAPS member for life mate, home and abroad :)

Reactions: tim
Sad news Lee, I'd definitely put money on bloodworms causing the problems if they were eaten by the Chocs.

Sad news Lee, I'd definitely put money on bloodworms causing the problems if they were eaten by the Chocs.

Thanks Flint!! I culture all of my own food, i was slack with hatching some fresh artimia and thought i would get some bloodworm for a change. Never again, i'm not sure if that was the cause, but it's the only thing that has been done differently since i started the tank up. I'm still gutted about it now :(

How are your Paro's getting on?

Hi all,
I'd definitely put money on bloodworms causing the problems if they were eaten by the Chocs
You get a lot of similar posts on dwarf cichlid forums, where people feed frozen blood worms to Apistogramma etc. and then have deaths. If I fed frozen blood-worms I'd only feed ones that were red.

I think live blood-worms are fine if you culture them your-self, but I'd be a bit wary of bought live ones, because they may have been collected from sewage farms etc.

Culturing is really simple, you need a bucket of rain-water, a good handful of leaves and a cork. You leave it outside in a shady spot and the Chironomid midges find it and lay their eggs. I usually put some wood in as well (you can soak small bits of "bog wood") and the blood-worms congregate on these wooden bits at night.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, You get a lot of similar posts on dwarf cichlid forums, where people feed frozen blood worms to Apistogramma etc. and then have deaths. If I fed frozen blood-worms I'd only feed ones that were red.

I think live blood-worms are fine if you culture them your-self, but I'd be a bit wary of bought live ones, because they may have been collected from sewage farms etc.

Culturing is really simple, you need a bucket of rain-water, a good handful of leaves and a cork. You leave it outside in a shady spot and the Chironomid midges find it and lay their eggs. I usually put some wood in as well (you can soak small bits of "bog wood") and the blood-worms congregate on these wooden bits at night.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel! Unfortunately i did buy live bloodworm . I'll never buy any live food from my LFS now, as i said i usually culture all of my own live food.

Thanks for the info, i may give a bloodworm culture a ago. I have a spare 40 litre bucket in the shed, and there plenty of midges in the garden. :)

Thanks Flint!! I culture all of my own food, i was slack with hatching some fresh artimia and thought i would get some bloodworm for a change. Never again, i'm not sure if that was the cause, but it's the only thing that has been done differently since i started the tank up. I'm still gutted about it now :(

How are your Paro's getting on?

They're growing nicely thanks Lee. Still waiting for my males to mature fully though. Still not sure which type they are, but probably nagyi 'kuantan'

Cheers

Back