• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rosette plant rhizome question

Nont

Hello,

A mistake was made, I accidentally ripped emersed Echinodorus rhizome in half while doing plant repotting and roots trimming :( Will it grow back or am I completely out of luck?

Depends which half, I don’t understand why you’re trimming roots? Or how you rip a plant 😉 (I would rip a plant like a hosta apart, to split it in the winter, so maybe you did something like that?)

If established, and you cut off all the plants leaves, it should grow new ones 👍

I don’t understand why you’re trimming roots?
I want to repot it in to a smaller pot and the roots system was too huge. It used to look kinda like the other one I used to have.
0E408EB8-81D3-45E7-8B2C-0298D804B071.jpeg

Or how you rip a plant
During trimming I accidentally cut its rhizome in half not knowing it was there. (have to edit internet pictures because I don’t have the picture of mine)
22E05669-2E72-4728-B7A3-1BB8DC1F45DD.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all,
During trimming I accidentally cut its rhizome in half not knowing it was there. (have to edit internet pictures because I don’t have the picture of mine)
The top half will definitely grow, the rhizome is ,"just a type of stem">. With the bottom half it will depend on whether it has any axillary buds left. This is an Anubias, but it is <"exactly the same principle">.

c2b602da8c738fb11e51afa3a212f22f_full-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

The echinodorus experienced some root rot after rhizome accident. The plant continue to grow new roots, but the old one are rotting and it smells really horrible. I noticed that this also occur with other emersed alismataceae; Sagittaria sagittifolia and Helanthium after trimming only their roots (not rhizome). Is there anyway to stop root rots? Atleast in terms of smell? @dw1305

Hi all,
Remove the rotting roots?
Many times over, when a plant is uprooted lots of its roots will just die off and rot. That's why I partially trim the roots before replanting when I uproot a plant.
I noticed that this also occur with other emersed alismataceae; Sagittaria sagittifolia and Helanthium after trimming only their roots (not rhizome). Is there anyway to stop root rots? Atleast in terms of smell?
I'd trim the roots right back to the rhizome as well. The plant is going to grow new roots and the older damaged roots are likely to rot.

cheers Darrel

Many times over, when a plant is uprooted lots of its roots will just die off and rot. That's why I partially trim the roots before replanting when I uproot a plant.
I'd trim the roots right back to the rhizome as well. The plant is going to grow new roots and the older damaged roots are likely to rot.
Thanks for the replies, going to trim most of it off then.

Back