• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala / Ammania Bonsai - MELT

Paulo Soares

Dear friends,

First let me say that before i post this thread i´ve searched for this issue and i didn´t find it.

For the FIFTH TIME i planted "Rotala Bonsai" and it just MELTed in 24 hours.. completely gone.. eraised fom the planet.. you can´t imagine what i felt as soon as i woke up and check the plant.. my will was to pick the tank and disassemble it for good.. cause this makes me nervous.. you can´t imagine.

As you might see by the pictures below:

5jxm61.jpg

Look at it.. look how she gets in less than 24 hours.

Is this normal ? How this happens? Five times in different tanks with different parameters? And why only this plant do this? Why?

Can you enlighten me? Cause really i don´t know what more to do.

Here you have my set up tank:

96 Liter Tank
16 liters of Tropica Plant Growth
Eheim Filter Eco Pro 300
Co2 Injection

Estimative index Fertilization:
1- MACRO Elements (Potassium Nitrate KNO3 + Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 + Magnesium Sulphate MgSO4 + Calcium Nitrate Ca(NO3)2)
2 - Micro Elements Chelated Trace Elements

Light: Bulbs T5 2 * 39W ( 6500 Kelvins + 4000 Kelvins )
Photoperiod of 8 Hours

PH Before Lights Up - 7,6
PH After Photoperiod lights off - 6,8
Co2 - 30 PPM

Nitrates - 20 PPM
Phosphates - 2
Iron - 0.2
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - 0
Chlorine - 0
KH - 9
Water Temperature - 26 / 27 Degrees

Best regards for all.

Note: I sent an email with this to Tropica Plants.
Cause i think they should know what is happening. And i don´t think that this is a matter of my tank. Here in Portugal i have to many friends with this issue and also in the Staurogyne and Utricularia.

My tank photo with all plants doing fine. Only this one MELT. And this photo was taken after a triming session..

9lbtba.jpg

Good morning,
Yes it is Rotala Bonsai 1-2 Grow 033E tc.

I allready tried others...as Ammnaia Sp Bonsai 1-2 and the same happens.

For five times now in the past year! ...

try floating it in the tank for a week or 2 before planting properly

I can try that. Took of the plants from the gely cup and put it in the water inside the maternity fish.

But then again i´m not following you.. the water is the same.

Got you ;)
I´m gonna pass by the store today and buy a new cup..
Let´s try that.

Hug

Buy a propogator, and try to plant in emmersed state first, this is one of the easist plant to grow in emersed state. once the sterm gets strong and well rooted, change it to submerged state become much easier. this plant grow like weed in my tank.

Never heard of that "propogator".. let me check in the web what is that.
Thanks

propogator: a glourified flower pot with acylic lid.

mine is of special construction, with themstat controlling temperatature at 22C and a humidifier runs for 10mins every 2 hours.

Ok i got it.. it´s like a "greenhouse".
But this is a trick of us. I will try it of course.

But then again there comes more expenses to me.. cause now i have to buy equipment to do that when It is suposed to took the plant from the cup and nothing more. At list this is the Tropica´s publicity and marketing.

And if they guarantee ..I wil wait for Tropica to answer my mail, cause if they sell it in cups and promote the sail by the arguments we know is their obligation to ensure this.

We are always developing methods to get results and these major companys continue to sell their products no matter what difficulty ...or problems the consumer does have.
It´s us who improve and study to get our tanks as they should be, or as we imagined we want them to be. And what these companys do? Zip zip.. zero.. continue to sell it as if nothing happen..

This is what revolts me. That´s why i do claim a lot to major companys. It might get me to knowhere, but it i feel relief of doing the right thing.

And i can´t do this properly. How am i gonna control the humidity, temperature, water, fertilization, light, etc etc. (?)

I´m gonna buy a cup of Bonsai, separate the roots, and put it in little tyny cups. In the morning (before i leave home) and at night by my arrival i do a water sprinkle. Theres nothing more i could do and i´m not going to spent more money in equipment..
Let´s see if this result.

Big hug

The tropica 1-2 grow ammania bonsai worked fine for me

The tropica 1-2 grow staurogene repens also worked fine

The tropica 1-2 grow pogostemon erectus also fine

The tropica 1-2 grow UG completely melted on me. Both pots.

I think they are pretty reliable tbh and i dont think you'll get much out of tropica. The floating method sounds a good way of doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Clown
I looked at this thread of your :)

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/andys-hc-propagator-step-by-step.28930/

Really cool. I´m gonna follow step by step your procedure.
And i can find a similar propagator like this in chinese stores here in Portugal. very very cheaper:)

Tell me.. i saw that you trim some plants before but in case of Bonsai it´s best to only separate the roots isnt it?
After 3 weeks take them out and replant in the tank is that so?

And i´m going to use JBL AQUABASIC soil. I have a rest of it from other Set up´s.

Now this is more motivating :)

Anything else to regard for?

Big Hug

You leave the stems on the ground? Only that?
I normally separate the plant and introduce the root in the substrate with the tweezer...
So for what i´ve seen you took the leaves off and the root and stem on the ground?
Amazing...

Hello Big,
Some good news. Not all "Bonsai" did Melt. Let´s say about 50% is still remaining.

As they started to Melt i guess that just like happens before they all will melt but guess what... this morning the remain feet are still there and looking good ;)
I´m a Lucky guy...

But stilll i´m gonna start to cultivate plants with the "Propagator".

Wich brand is yours? Or wich one you recommend to buy?
In Portugal i can´t find anything in Pet or fish or Aquarium stores :(
An not even in sites like "aquasabi.com" etc.

I find this:
http://www.garden4less.co.uk/52cm_thermostatic_controlled_propagator.asp

What you think of it?

Back