• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala H'ra not looking good

Wolfie

Hi can anyone advice as to what is wrong with my H'ra? When i purchased stems were stunning colour and really healthy.
They have been in about 2 weeks now and over the last few days i have noticed that the tips of the leaves have started to fold over. Any advice would be grateful.
20210706_195054.jpg

Attachments

• 20210706_195229.jpg
    20210706_195229.jpg
    989.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210706_195258.jpg
    20210706_195258.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 162
HI, plants have to transition, when moved from tanks. but we need much more information to trouble shoot issues. cheers, plantnoob

HI, plants have to transition, when moved from tanks. but we need much more information to trouble shoot issues. cheers, plantnoob

Ok I will list everything, if I miss anything let me know.
56L ,
backterkit soil,
tropica substrate, about 5ml thick
c02 injection,
twinstar 450s,
ehiem experience 720L P/H,
ehiem 350 skimmer,
EI ferts 19ml alternate days macro micro using aqua reefdoser,
set up 5th may this year fully cycled with 5 Amano, 1 Otto, 3 Horned Nerite Snails, 6 Galaxy Rasbora and 6 Chilli Rasbora.
50% W/C once a week.
c02 on 2 and half hours before light comes on. Light on for 7 hours ramps up from 3% to 100% over 3 hours, 1hour at 100%, then ramps down to 0% over next 3 hours. C02 of 1 hour before light
I just can’t work out why leaves on my Rotala H’ra have started to fold under it’s only happened over the last few days so nothing in set up has changed.
Is this caused by deficiencies or something else????.
just want to say that i have had no algae issues at all since set up
Water parameters are,
These readings were taken just after lights out tonight
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 to 20ppm
PH 6 to 6.5 when no c02 on sits between 7 to 7.5
GH 16
KH 8
hope this helps
thanks

Hi can anyone advice as to what is wrong with my H'ra? When i purchased stems were stunning colour and really healthy.
They have been in about 2 weeks now and over the last few days i have noticed that the tips of the leaves have started to fold over. Any advice would be grateful.

In order to get stunning colours, it suggests that the H'ra were grown in a nitrate limited environment. As your water parameters are different, I guess the plant is just adjusting?

As an experiment, cut off the tops of one of them and replant, see if it helps? Because the lower parts of the stems seem to look worse than the top (some might say that is a sign of poor flow to substrate).

Not saying that this is exactly the same issue but in my experience when I’m adding new fast growing plants into the tank with insufficient CO2 levels they start growing like a mad first week or two and then start degrading. This is what I had with Hygrophila Polysperma and Hygrophila Compacta. They shoot up and spread and then couple of weeks later started dying… after months of looking for the reason finally I’ve got Hygrophila growing nicely after upping CO2 and getting 1ph drop

Not saying that this is exactly the same issue but in my experience when I’m adding new fast growing plants into the tank with insufficient CO2 levels they start growing like a mad first week or two and then start degrading. This is what I had with Hygrophila Polysperma and Hygrophila Compacta. They shoot up and spread and then couple of weeks later started dying… after months of looking for the reason finally I’ve got Hygrophila growing nicely after upping CO2 and getting 1ph drop
My c02 is not the problem, i have lime green drop checker when light comes on with a drop of 1 ph my flow is good all round. Will just have to watch and see if they improve. Not to fussed about the colour just want it to be healthy

DSC00460.JPG

Just wondering, is there more than one type of Rotala H'ra? Because the first photo shows a really yellow H'ra. This is my H'ra which is buried within an overgrown clump for L. Super Reds (I uprooted most of them as their habit of bending caused it to constantly shade other plants). In my country the H'ra that is sold starts off greenish then it turn green-pink like this, and if the stars align it turns red (which won't happen in my tank).

I`ve had them in both colors in my tank, that yellow from the first photo, and also the pink-ish tint from your photo. I`ve had it yellow when my CO2 ran out and the place I refill my cylinder (the only one in town) was closed for almost two months because they moved to a new location, but turned back to pink, especially the new growth, after I got CO2 back on. I noticed that when it`s closer to the light source, as it grows, it gets more and more pink-ish, and the underside of the leaves has almost a light purple hue.

I bought the Tropica in-vitro version of Rotala H`Ra and indeed it was green.

My c02 is not the problem, i have lime green drop checker when light comes on with a drop of 1 ph my flow is good all round. Will just have to watch and see if they improve. Not to fussed about the colour just want it to be healthy
I was absolutely convinced for months that my CO2 levels are correct according to the drop checker. I was trying upping or reducing ferts, upgraded lights, added powerhead but still wasn’t happy with the new poor growth. Then I decided to challenge the drop checker and invested into PH pen and realised that I was way too far from 1 PH drop.
You haven’t mentioned how did you measure PH drop and if you are not using reliable tools I’d strongly recommend to do soo. You may be surprised 😮

Yes that is mine and yes i bought them from Roland, just add i cant fault what Roland sent me. Think i will invest in a PH pen

Yes Rolands plants are top drawer, so no issues there. If your filter inlet and outlet pipes are still in the same positions as those in that image, then I suspect it may be a distribution problem with the CO2 no finding its way to the rear of the tank. I imagine the lions share of the water flow is hitting the glass on the opposite side, coming back down and across the substrate, and back out of the filter inlet. Try putting your drop checker at the rear of the tank, low down where the stems are for a day, and see if the colour gets as lime green as is usually does.

Also double check the calibration on your doser to make sure you don't have any issues with it under-dosing. Are you using DIY salts, or branded ferts?

I will move the drop checker tomorrow before the c02 comes on and yes i use EI ferts will measure the out put tonigh. Hopefuly this wull lead me in the right direction, thanks for your time, will let you know how it goes

I will move the drop checker tomorrow before the c02 comes on and yes i use EI ferts will measure the out put tonigh. Hopefuly this wull lead me in the right direction, thanks for your time, will let you know how it goes
So the flow down to substrate is good drop checker same colour all round tank. Just ordered a ph pen so will get that sunday hopefully Wookii this will give me the result i need, but if my tests so far are good not sure what way to head, maybe stick in some root tabs

Is anybody else's H'ra grow sideways? It's really annoying me seeing it grow like this, and it's the only plant that goes sideways. It's one fickle plant that seems to do whatever it wants. 😀

IMG_20210719_192149.jpg
IMG_20210719_192153.jpg IMG_20210719_192142.jpg

Is anybody else's H'ra grow sideways? It's really annoying me seeing it grow like this, and it's the only plant that goes sideways. It's one fickle plant that seems to do whatever it wants. 😀

Just wondering, is there more than one type of Rotala H'ra? Because the first photo shows a really yellow H'ra. This is my H'ra which is buried within an overgrown clump for L. Super Reds (I uprooted most of them as their habit of bending caused it to constantly shade other plants). In my country the H'ra that is sold starts off greenish then it turn green-pink like this, and if the stars align it turns red (which won't happen in my tank).

I had the exact same issue. there were even some stems that crept along the substrate. I replaced it with Blood Red instead.

It does creep under high light, pretty sure you can use that plant as a carpet.

I think this is why in many scapes, they use that plant in the background so it creep out behind something and shows only the tips.

From experience, when you lower the light intensity, it grow vertically but once it reach enough light it start creeping again.

Back