• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala sp. Green new growth pale and round?

MVCXIV

Seedling
So I just started my new tank (will be a week tomorrow), and I've noticed that the new growth on my Rotala Green are round and pale, instead of thin and darker green. Curious if anyone has any suggestions I can try. Thanks in advance :)

1. ADA 60p
2. Oase Thermo BioMaster 350
3. Chihiros WRGB2 5 hour photoperiod
4. Amazonia Lite + Amazonia 2 powder
5. 3 bps, checker is yellow
6. ADA Brighty K and Brighty Mineral 3 pumps each daily
7. Daily 50% water changes
8. Rotala sp. 'Green'
Rotala Nanjenshan
Rotala Vietnam H'ra
Juncus Repens
Bucephalandra Mini Melawi
Bucephalandra Hulu Boyan
Eleocharis Acicularis
Ludwigia 'Super Red'
Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini'
Bacopa Monnieri
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
Phyllanthus Fluitans
Taxiphyllum alternans
Vesicularia Montagnei

9. Inhabitants - none

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpg
    IMG_5307.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_5294.jpeg
    IMG_5294.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 203
  • IMG_5306.jpg
    IMG_5306.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 189
Hi all,
ADA Brighty K and Brighty Mineral 3 pumps each daily
They've run out of one of the <"essential nutrients for plant growth">. Because <"they are new leaves"> that are chlorotic (and it's <"Rotala rotundifolia">) then <"iron (Fe) availability"> is the likely one, particularly <"if you have hard water">?

I'm not a great fan of ADA's fertilisers, you can argue about aesthetics for lights and tanks etc. but all ions are the same in fertilisers and ADA's are a very <"expensive option">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

They've run out of one of the <"essential nutrients for plant growth">. Because <"they are new leaves"> that are chlorotic (and it's <"Rotala rotundifolia">) then <"iron (Fe) availability"> is the likely one, particularly <"if you have hard water">?

I'm not a great fan of ADA's fertilisers, you can argue about aesthetics for lights and tanks etc. but all ions are the same in fertilisers and ADA's are a very <"expensive option">.

cheers Darrel
Thank you Darrel, your expertise is much appreciated. I do have hard water here (although waiting for a test kit to verify).

Do you suggest I add a daily Fe fert and see how the plants react? Or should I ditch ADA lean dosing for EI or something similar? Trying to wrap my head around all of this :)

Thanks,
Mike

H all,
Do you suggest I add a daily Fe fert
No, once a week should be fine, plants only need a little bit iron (Fe), the difference is "some" or "none". The problem with ferric iron (Fe+++) is that it forms <"insoluble compounds"> in oxygenated, carbonate rich, water., which why we use it as a chelate.
Or should I ditch ADA lean dosing for EI or something similar?
I'm not an EI user, personally I <"run my tanks a lot leaner">, but if you are adding CO2 your plants can only <"make use of that CO2"> if other nutrients aren't limiting.

You can use the <"IFC nutrient calculator"> to clone a fertiliser, or make your own bespoke mixture.

cheers Darrel

Back