• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotala sp Green

What's your water source?
Well we just use tap water, and the last lab test had the following results which can be seen in this link http://svenstrupvand.dk/files/2018/01/Udvidet-kontrol-29-11-2017.pdf . The creeping behaviour is only exhibited in the high light aquarium, we do not see it in the the other aquariums where we planted small samples from the same in vitro pot, but growth there is much slower. If it doesn't start going up, I will just go with lower light intensity from the Solar II for the IAPLC scape, but I have a couple of months before I need to start that one, but I would like to find the optimal growing conditions so I can set it up in less than two months before the final picture and tear it down again.

Hi all,
The key to success seems to be sterilisation of the environment. Probably explains how the plants we buy in vitro are cultivated.
I think it does, micro-propagation (tissue culturing plants) has to take place using aseptic culture, because you are using very small "explants" (meristems) to ensure virus free stock and you have a growing medium that supports the growth of plants, which also means that it supports the growth of fungi, bacteria and the plants you don't want to culture (algae).

Microbiology labs use aseptic techniques as standard, so the techniques were well known before in vitro culture became a realistic economic proposition. When I worked in commercal horticulture (~35 years ago) it was right at the start of the tisse culture revolution, but it was already beginning to totally change the economics of Orchid production.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Should you be interested in making your own in vitro plants,
I have had a go at it. Years ago we used to get the students to try and micropropagate <"African Violets"> (Saintpaulia cultivars), and even longer ago I looked at <"tissue culturing roses">.
I have not tested it, and the journal have an impact rating score of 0.66 on ResearchGate). Remember to adjust for the type of plant as Anubias is fairly hardy
It isn't a ground breaking paper, and no-one has cited it, but it is a genuine research paper. There are a couple of strange processes in it, I'm not sure why any-one would be recommending HgCl2 sterilization, mercuric chloride is a biocide and extremely toxic. Also the explants used were really large, which wouldn't make them virus free, but would make them more prone to microbial contamination. Plants have the ability to regenerate a whole plant from a single cell, it is called <"totipotency"> and allows you to grow haploid plants from a pollen cell etc.

Commercially microprop. is a very useful technique for rapidly bulking up slow growing Aroids etc. like Anubias. If you traced the cost and availability of Bucephalandra spp. over the last fifteen years you would find a rapid decline in price as tissue cultured plants became available.

@Mick.Dk can tell you more about the <"economics of aquatic plant production">, but there will be loads of species that are trialled and would be successful aquarium plants, but don't fulfill the requirements <"for commercial production">. If a plant <"is fragile">, has to be <"grown submersed">, or is <"difficult to propagate">, then plant producers will try and find an alternative that doesn't have those issues.

cheers Darrel

I can't say why they included the HgCl2 part of the experiment, because as they say in the article it was not very useful, but then again if they didn't include it in the article others might try it.

Back