Rotala won't stay planted!!

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by mikeljojo, 6 May 2008.

1. mikeljojo

mikeljojo Newly Registered

Hi,

Having recently planted my tank - all seemed well 2-3 days later. However, the rotala stems have started to lift out of the substrate and float to the top of the tank. They were all planted approx 2" into the substrate [ADA aquasoil] and seemed to be in place well enough. I used nothing to weight them down though, just pushed the stems into the substrate with tweezers.

With the tank now being full, I was considering anchoring the plants back in place with lead wire. Is this OK, or is there a better way to hold them in place? The stems that have come loose, have all got roots starting to develop, but obviously not enough to hold them in place yet.

Regards,

Mike.

2. beeky

beeky Member

I'd just stick them in again. I've found stem plants need planting 2 or 3 times before they get the message :)

Have you got fish in there? They might be pulling them out.

3. Wolfenrook

Wolfenrook Member

I never use lead weights on stem plants, I find that it causes the stem to rot. Either just poke them back in, or let them float until they have some roots and use these to anchor the stems.

Ade