rotala

Nick16

hi, can i use rotala 'green' in a small tank???? (40l) or will it grow too big? the reason for this is i want to grow a stem or two so i can learn trimming and things before i try them in my big tank.
secondly, has anyone used tropica substrate uncapped? does it stir up really badly? (i have some akadama so a small layer of that on top? will that solve any stiring up problems?)

Mark Evans

Expert
Nick16 said:
hi, can i use rotala 'green' in a small tank???? (40l) or will it grow too big? t

it'll grow as big as you want it.

in a small tank, you must allow the stem to reach the surface before you do any trimming ;) . its possible to keep it at the height you want. the smaller the tank the shorter the life span of the scape (due to stem growth)

Mark Evans

Expert
Nick16 said:
thanks, are there any other stems that may be better suited to a small tank?

yeah, maybe Hemianthus micranthemoides, and also Micranthemum umbrosum the second creeps like hc. great for a bush effect.

Yeah, as Mark said stems will grow as tall as you let them.

I'm not sure about the Tropica substrate. I don't know the ins and outs behind it but I think it's got some stuff in it that if you leave it uncapped can be toxic to the fish. Don't take this as fact though.

Nick16

well i have also got the jbl aqaubasis stuff which is good, but i was wondering if i could use what i have left of the tropica stuff but i wont risk it and leave it uncapped, i will put some black gravel on top. (thats why i want things like stems, becuase they are fine in gravel, whereas small plants like HC prefers sand)

thanks for the suggestions for plants, i will research them, i think some PH and staurogyne will look good as well.

I've seen quite a few tanks where Glosso has been used as a foreground plant in a tank with gravel substrate. Just make sure the gravel is quite fine.

Nick16

Thomas McMillan said:
I've seen quite a few tanks where Glosso has been used as a foreground plant in a tank with gravel substrate. Just make sure the gravel is quite fine.
its not though, thats why im having to reconsider my plans. i may leave the akadama uncovered in the main tank as it is smaller and more rounded. apart from HC, glosso, mosses, riccia and dwarf four leaf clovers, what else can i use to carpet? the more options i have the better, i was thinking PH?

will that work in gravel? or does staurogyne work?

Both will work. You could also try Eleocharis (hairgrass), Crypt Parva and E tenellus although they do grow quite tall. Hairgrass is a good option though.

Nick16

with regard to hairgrass, i got some from plants alive, and it hasnt grown one bit, so im miffed, i have 1.5wpg in my 40 litre, with about 2ml every other day of easy carbo, and about 2ml daily of TPN. there is about 2 cm of aqua basis with about 1-2 cms of akadama topped with a thin layer of black gravel. are they not growing becuase the roots cant reach the aquabasis?

should i either, when i rescape etc,

just have the aquabasis and buy one bag of sand so i have about 1-2cms on top, or just leave the aquabasis uncapped? im tempted to have a go at E.tenullus and C.parva.

Can you leave aquabasis uncapped? If you can, then do.

I'm not sure about the hairgrass issue. From experience, those conditions should be fine. When I was first starting out with plants, I had some in a tank with 1.5wpg, no ferts or co2 *not even liquid) and just gravel. I didn't give it a proper chance to take hold but it did start producing runners after about a week.

Nick16

Thomas McMillan said:
Can you leave aquabasis uncapped? If you can, then do.

I'm not sure about the hairgrass issue. From experience, those conditions should be fine. When I was first starting out with plants, I had some in a tank with 1.5wpg, no ferts or co2 *not even liquid) and just gravel. I didn't give it a proper chance to take hold but it did start producing runners after about a week.

mine have been in there over a month and not grown at all, so im going to bin them tonight :twisted:
i dont know about the aqua basis, there is another thread on here, and james says he has used it on its own. so its worth a go. do you think PH and hairgrass mix? or does it look bad?

Personally I wouldn't use those two plants together because I think they give a different feel - it still could work though.