• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rotala

Nick16

hi, can i use rotala 'green' in a small tank???? (40l) or will it grow too big? the reason for this is i want to grow a stem or two so i can learn trimming and things before i try them in my big tank.
secondly, has anyone used tropica substrate uncapped? does it stir up really badly? (i have some akadama so a small layer of that on top? will that solve any stiring up problems?)

Nick16 said:
hi, can i use rotala 'green' in a small tank???? (40l) or will it grow too big? t

it'll grow as big as you want it.

in a small tank, you must allow the stem to reach the surface before you do any trimming ;) . its possible to keep it at the height you want. the smaller the tank the shorter the life span of the scape (due to stem growth)

Nick16 said:
thanks, are there any other stems that may be better suited to a small tank?

yeah, maybe Hemianthus micranthemoides, and also Micranthemum umbrosum the second creeps like hc. great for a bush effect.

Yeah, as Mark said stems will grow as tall as you let them.

I'm not sure about the Tropica substrate. I don't know the ins and outs behind it but I think it's got some stuff in it that if you leave it uncapped can be toxic to the fish. Don't take this as fact though.

well i have also got the jbl aqaubasis stuff which is good, but i was wondering if i could use what i have left of the tropica stuff but i wont risk it and leave it uncapped, i will put some black gravel on top. (thats why i want things like stems, becuase they are fine in gravel, whereas small plants like HC prefers sand)

thanks for the suggestions for plants, i will research them, i think some PH and staurogyne will look good as well.

I've seen quite a few tanks where Glosso has been used as a foreground plant in a tank with gravel substrate. Just make sure the gravel is quite fine.

Thomas McMillan said:
I've seen quite a few tanks where Glosso has been used as a foreground plant in a tank with gravel substrate. Just make sure the gravel is quite fine.
its not though, thats why im having to reconsider my plans. i may leave the akadama uncovered in the main tank as it is smaller and more rounded. apart from HC, glosso, mosses, riccia and dwarf four leaf clovers, what else can i use to carpet? the more options i have the better, i was thinking PH?

will that work in gravel? or does staurogyne work?

Both will work. You could also try Eleocharis (hairgrass), Crypt Parva and E tenellus although they do grow quite tall. Hairgrass is a good option though.

with regard to hairgrass, i got some from plants alive, and it hasnt grown one bit, so im miffed, i have 1.5wpg in my 40 litre, with about 2ml every other day of easy carbo, and about 2ml daily of TPN. there is about 2 cm of aqua basis with about 1-2 cms of akadama topped with a thin layer of black gravel. are they not growing becuase the roots cant reach the aquabasis?

should i either, when i rescape etc,

just have the aquabasis and buy one bag of sand so i have about 1-2cms on top, or just leave the aquabasis uncapped? im tempted to have a go at E.tenullus and C.parva.

Can you leave aquabasis uncapped? If you can, then do.

I'm not sure about the hairgrass issue. From experience, those conditions should be fine. When I was first starting out with plants, I had some in a tank with 1.5wpg, no ferts or co2 *not even liquid) and just gravel. I didn't give it a proper chance to take hold but it did start producing runners after about a week.

Thomas McMillan said:
Can you leave aquabasis uncapped? If you can, then do.

I'm not sure about the hairgrass issue. From experience, those conditions should be fine. When I was first starting out with plants, I had some in a tank with 1.5wpg, no ferts or co2 *not even liquid) and just gravel. I didn't give it a proper chance to take hold but it did start producing runners after about a week.

mine have been in there over a month and not grown at all, so im going to bin them tonight :twisted:
i dont know about the aqua basis, there is another thread on here, and james says he has used it on its own. so its worth a go. do you think PH and hairgrass mix? or does it look bad?

Personally I wouldn't use those two plants together because I think they give a different feel - it still could work though.

Back