• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotola, how do yo get it vertical

TBRO

I have Rotola sp. Green, I can't seem to get it to grow in that nice vertical manner you see in amano nature aquariums. I have CO2 and ferts and it grows rapidly enough but is always curving over and looking untidy. Are there any tips to acheiving that nice sphere of green look ?

Cheers, Garuf thats exactly what I wanted !

I'm not being brutal enough with my stems, there gonna get cut to stumps !

with regard to the above link, is that marselia crenata (aka four leaf clover) in those pictures? or another type of marselia? it looks awesome and a change to glosso or HC.

Looks like Glosso to me ? Mariesella hirsuita does grow four leaves as well but only under optimal conditions otherwise it looks like big glosso.

I use Marsilea sp a fair bit, and find I get the single lobed growth in direct light, and the multi lobed growth on the plants that are quite well shaded.

Dave.

I`m not sure what type it is in that tank, Marsilea all seem to look the same to me. Marsilea has a Glossoesque look to it, but grows more sparsely and is easier to control. I think it is under rated and under used, although Amano has used it quite a lot.

I think mine is M crenata. I have just popped some in the propogator, but it doesn`t look too happy in there at the moment.

Dave.

i have always been tempted to use some and this next scape might be my chance.
any tips on planting the stuff dave?

I have had some success with M.hirsuita, it comes in the emergant form, the leaves die when submerged so the best thing is to cut off the old leaves laving just the root, rhizome and 1-2 cm of stalk. New leaves soon emerge and it spreads in a glosso-esque fashion with runners.

Back