• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rotting anubias

tam

The anubias I planted here: https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/planted-tank-for-catfish.51350/ aren't doing too well. A month on and there is slow but new growth from the ferns, but the anubias not really anything and it's now shedding leaves. The leaves themselves look healthy but are rotting off at the base - so I'm finding perfectly healthy looking leaves floating around the tank. The anubias I took from another tank, that I know have been growing submersed are just as affected.

It's has 25% 50/50 RO/liquid rock tap water changes. TNC lite dosed per the bottle and running an arcadia eco-aqua LED.

Got a bit of diatoms too, but not too worried about that as it had a fair bit of new wood in.

What's going wrong?

Bump - anyone?

Anubias is usually so tough I don't know what to try :(

If it's not just plant transitioning, i would suspect the Pleco too.. The are known to munch and graze on the wood, so might be they don't stop and go around a plant rhizome on it. Look closely to the plant rhizome and leafbase if it aint damaged..

I’ve had Anubias just simply dissolve in an aquarium - not sure of the reason. So I had none in it for a while. I put some in again and they are fine now. I read somewhere about a virus that affects anubias but I was completely confused as to the reason it all dissolved:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you maybe need to dose TNC complete and you probably need to look at your lighting as well; it's an old LED strip?
I suspect it may not be strong enough even for Anubias. Can you take a pic of it.

@zozo they are catfish no plecs. They could be causing damage but the fact there is no growth happening either makes me think that's no the issue. Not a single new leaf and the roots aren't doing anything either. If it was just physical damage I'd expect a bit of new growth too.

I've got some TNC complete I can try.

The light is the 4' long version of this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcadia-...Light-Daylight-687mm-17w-ETD690-/321785835368 it's probably 3/4 years old plus.

Here are some pictures, this is the worst effected, I think it's probably a right off.

IMG_6593b.JPG

Another one not as bad. Some of the rhyzomes look ok, but the leaves are detaching.

IMG_6594b.JPG

Here is the current crop of floating leaves:

IMG_6597b.JPG

Yep, that second pic looks like fairly healthy rhizome that someone has taken a vegetable peeler too. There weren't snails and I haven't seen any but it's possible I introduced some with the plants.

I just shined a torch in to do a snail check and noticed there are some odd patterns in the bit of algae in the back corner.

IMG_6600b.JPG

Looks like something has been rasping at it?

What state are the rhizomes in?
Still firm & robust seeeming - or soft with mushy spots?

That LED seems a bit odd, looks like the very low PAR fish viewing type - do you recall if it claimed sufficient for plant growth?

What state are the rhizomes in?
Still firm & robust seeeming - or soft with mushy spots?

That LED seems a bit odd, looks like the very low PAR fish viewing type - do you recall if it claimed sufficient for plant growth?

I will poke them tomorrow. Not sure, looking online there seems to be a tropical and daylight version - I'll turn it on tomorrow and try and count the colours to see which it is.

Is it as pale as in the picture? Iron issues maybe. I've always had a battle with iron in my hard water.

That first photo is nana golden, so it is pale, but I think within what would be acceptable for that. The darker leaved ones look normal coloured.

I imagined this as something very profound & wondered what I might see outside :wideyed:

:lol:

In that first pic it indeed lookes like the bark is completely chewed/scraped off the rhizome.. Is a good idea to look what happens after lights out. You also say no new growth.. But what is the timespan you are expecting? Lately, that is 2 months ago i threw small piece of rhizome from an A. Barteri without any leaves and only a few roots into a fishless tank that i do not fertilize, not a drop. And it still grew several new leaves.

This is the 10mm piece of rhizome, but it took 2 months to go from leafless to this without a drop of additional ferts. I know i have > 20ppm nitrates from the tap. That's the only thing it gets from my hand after some water change i do once a month maybe... All i know the tank substrate is 2 years into maturity and i never realy cleaned it. So i have no idea what this substrate leaches into the water column. This rhizome just hoovers around laying in to of some other leaves..

This is + 5 x real size..
DSCF9829.jpg

I have some Microsorum spp. starving in this tank, but Anubias still grows happily. I doubt yours is a fert issue.

Yep, that second pic looks like fairly healthy rhizome that someone has taken a vegetable peeler too. There weren't snails and I haven't seen any but it's possible I introduced some with the plants.

I just shined a torch in to do a snail check and noticed there are some odd patterns in the bit of algae in the back corner.

View attachment 112577

Looks like something has been rasping at it?

That picture looks really weird :) There's a ghost in your tank :lol: Something is definitely at that algae. What fish are in the tank?

My fish have shredded my anubias completely over the last year and the rhizomes look like those on Zozo's picture. :( They're now recovering in another tank with friendly snails. :happy:

Only fish are four Syndontis catfish - angelicus, decorus, eupterus and a hybrid. I didn't think they were plant eaters, but I'm not sure that algae munching looks like a snail as the marks aren't joined up in one trail so maybe they are having a midnight snack :(

I think I'll start adding an algae waffer an evening and see, one, if anything weird comes out to eat it, and two, if the damage stops as the fish wanted a little more greens in their diet.

The plants have been in 8 weeks now. I know they grow slowly, but I'm not exaggerating there hasn't been a single new leaf, not even a little one and the roots don't appear to be growing either.

There is a piece that detached and is floating I could still in some tank water on the window sill and see if it sprouts with more light?

Back