• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Roughyed's 45L

roughyed

As the title say's this is my 45L - 50L (depends on where I measure up to!).

tank45L.jpg

As it is now. Its not been spruced for the pic! Heavy green Algea on 3 walls and a bit of Black hair on the substrate mainly.

So the start is a big clean up! Then I'm swapping the Aquaball (rear left) with a Tetratec EX600.

Details -

45x30x34 = 45L = 12 US G
Internal Aquaball filter
Eco-complete substrate
Weekly 5ml of Plantamin

Lighting

1 x Arcadia Tropical T8 x 14w
1 x Arcadia Freshwater T8 x 14w
28w Total.

Stocking
5 x Cardinal Terta
6 x Ember Tetra
5 x Corydoras Pygmaus
3 x Amano shrimp
20 x Cherry shrimp (ish)

Front left = Cryptocoryne Lucens, Front right = Dwarf Sag, Left wood = a little weeping moss + a little windolev, Right wood = little flame moss + Anubias nana petite.

Nothing at the moment at the back. One plan is to move the fish and have a big redo?

At its best -

tank-5.jpg

You have to get rid of all that algue ;) make sure you keeping up with the maintenance ;)
Looked good at its peak, bit of hardscape in there and it will look even better :)

The new filter looks to of helped, the water didn't look dirty before but now look so clear. Surprising how noticeable the difference is!

The 'at it's best' picture looks great. How long has it all been up and running, and what's the timescale between the pictures? And you can't beat a good quality filter ;)

Tourney said:
The 'at it's best' picture looks great. How long has it all been up and running, and what's the timescale between the pictures? And you can't beat a good quality filter ;)
Been up and running for about a year now.

The 'best' pic was from July and the slightly rough one was from this week.

Clean up starts tomorrow. I'm thinking of putting a moss wall into the back of the tank and getting a shorter heater (current one can only go at a angle so takes up a lot of room.).

Going to use weeping moss for the wall and a mesh kit from aquaticmagic.

The 2 filters are running in tandem at the moment, how long should I keep the internal going before the external will have built up some bacteria?

Looking at using Easy Carbo and Easy profito to give the plants a few basics. Its quite heavily stocked and its around 2 WPG. I'm wary of going to high tech as I'm not sure I have the time to do it.

tank45l-1.jpg

Began the clean up, algea on tank walls is quite stuborn! Learnt a few things from this tank, mainly plant big at the start and get bigger hardscape!

Themuleous said:
Looking food :)

Sam

Sam always has food on the brain :lol:

In my experience, all heaters eventually fall off. In a largish tank they can just be left hanging behind the scape somewhere, but in small tanks it's really difficult. You could try replacing it with one of the external hydor ones, more expense though.

What are you using to clean the glass? I still reckon the best way is a stanley knife blade and in with your hands. Those blade holders on sticks never seem to get enough pressure for the stubborn bits.

I think its perspex, well it doesn't sound like glass.

I use the plastic top of a test kit. Doesn't scratch but does the job...slowly.

roughyed said:
I use the plastic top of a test kit. Doesn't scratch but does the job...slowly.

Ow! that does sound slow. I use an algarde algae cleaner with a razor blade inserted in it. Aa long as the razor blade is sharp it gets through all algae on my glass it in no time. I have one long one and another that I have cut down to just a few inches long as it is easier to get into the corners with.

Back