• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Round indoor pond project queries.

It's the public that demands some animals to be on "display" and zoos need a lot of visitors to stay afloat. Food and staff cost 2 arms and a leg.

I am certain its a tough job to meet the costs, and also that now majority of zoos have good intentions, providing they have enough funding to meet the animals needs. But there have been animals in zoos that should have never been kept there in the first place. That specifically relates to fish even more, like orcas for example.

Last edited:
If you think about it, it is an absolutely absurdity.. Mankind firstly hunts all to the brink of extincion and than a 100.000 a year urning manager is crying crocodile tears and tries to play with your heart and raise huge fundings to save in captivity what is already beyond saving.

From what I've read, 95% of the species that have existed on Earth are already extinct. Seems like the natural cycle...We're the biggest killers, that's for sure.

It was definitely the zoo where I saw them, and I think the big Clown Loaches were really chunky and dark coloured.

I think chunky and coloured is what you want to see in captivity. Good colour and lack of bony appearance certainly indicates a healthy clown loach. Any patches, spots, etc., pinched/bony appears is either a water quality issue or disease. I wouldn't consider wild caught clown loaches very healthy when arriving to a life in captivity....Although a lot of captive raised are too chunky...

I read another article last night. It was in some Asian, local to clown loaches habitat language,so I used google translate. It stated the same, majority of clown loaches caught are average sized, largest up to 30cm(12 iches) total length.

A big clown loach between 10-12 inch costs hundreds when exproted, so they'd be sorting those type of clowns before exporting them out of the country(perhaps against local laws) for the "big bucks". But it doesn't mean what they catch is mostly that size as those sizes are rather rare to either purchase, or to raise.

Most people that have kept them for years know not all of them grow as big as "advertised" on the net...And the same seems to be the story in all reports from the wild, rarely reach 12 inch.

The loaches in the zoo would have been purchased by size, donated loaches, wild caught old loaches, etc... I highly doubt it they raised them themselves.....So is the case in many people's tanks who were hunting for large loaches to make a sizeable school. But if you raise them yourself, you face the domino/pyramid effect. Some large, some half the size of their siblings/cousins the exact same age.

Last edited:
Wow, this is a great story. Care to share more details?

There arn't a lot details. For me it is kinda of a legendary story from what i don't know if a realy remember anything from the actual event or just from the story.

I was about 5 years old and a very adventurous rascal on a tricycle.. We had a dog, simply old school mix called blacky. And like inseparable twins he went where i went.. The story goes one day my mom took me to feed the ducks at the local pond. The day after i sneaked out with my tricycle and went on my own to see the Ducks. Blacky followed me as he always did.. The edge to the pond was steep downhill and obviously 1970 brakes on a trycycle was an unaffordable luxery. So i dipped into the pond with tricycle and all.. Blacky immedatly grabed me trousers and started whining loudly. 2 neighbours fishing at the pond got attracked by the dogs whining and came to check it out.. And they pulled me out and brought me home.

I still remember the dog, most vivitly because a few years later i had him on a leash and he spotted a cat.. He went off after the cat dragging me down the street for a few yards. Still remember the abrasions on both my knees.. So it was real love and and affection, friends for life..
:)

One of my granddads was a war veteran, had half his leg missing and walked around with an wooden one. He had a pile of medals hidden in a drawer,he never showed anyone....which is a different story altogether.....Anyway his dog...well our dog....was called simply "Hey Boy" ;)The dog had followed my granddad as a puppy straight to his door and into the yard. He said he kicked him out, next day the dog was found in the yard again.....and remained for life. The dog was never ever kept on a leach, locked up or tight up. They made a dog door/hole in the fence so he could get in and out as he pleased.... The furthest he'd go on his own was in front of the house, just lying there normally and observing. If someone went to the shop walking, etc....he'd follow you, wait for you outside, then come back home with you. Even when my sister and I were little kids, and used to go to cinema alone, he'd follow us there and wait outside the cinema until the movie is over....

Two days ago I came back home from work and as usual, went to the fish tank room first to feed the little harlequins before the light goes off . Well...the light was already off and when I looked in the tank, the light was inside the water, had fallen down...:mad:. Thankfully it had switched itself off. It's the kessil light on a gooseneck. I moved it several times over the last few weeks to find it a new spot after I rescued it from among the big parlour palm...I must have not set the gooseneck properly, what a fool.....

I tested it today, it seems to be working but there's still some water inside so I'll leave it off I suppose? Is there any good way to dry such equipment? .....

Today I took a couple of videos of the hillstream loaches. Please excuse the really bad quality but the glass has not been cleaned in years perhaps?

I mentioned earlier in some post about some of them looking paler, thinking I forgot to dechlorinate in one of the water changes a couple of weeks back. Now I when I think of it, some of them were always beige colour and some dark brown....The tank is full of crypts and they are either in and out of the crypts or on the glass with their belly up towards me so I nearly forgot I did see colour variances in the group I bought from the very start and I remember asking somewhere when I purchased these about the colour difference...They're all very lively and feeding well as usual.

This is the beige variant below. They're also smaller than the darker ones..The shrimp in front are juvenile size. These loaches are really tiny...Sorry about the jumpy video but I had to zoom in to actually get any good view..

And the below is one of the darker and bigger ones. He/she is making some real sand storm, searching for the NLS pellets I had just dropped. They really love their food...

Next time it dips, don't switch it back on with water in it.. First make sure it's completely dry again.. Put it in a warm spot e.g on an towel on the central heating and leave it for days, preferably longer than a week. Such devices have a lot of hidden convex cavities and probably some parts so close together it holds water by capilary suction between the parts, so keep turning it over during the drying process. If not, it's like moist air forming under an upside down bucket, as long it is warm it's moist air, when it cools down it condenses again into water droplets. This process especialy moist air with brass and electricity accelerates oxydation on conection points e.g in the switches or potentiometers.

This still can be the case causing a shortcut and switching off the leds inside or switching off the psu.. So you might be lucky it still is ok again after it's fully dryed up.. Still worth wile to leave it on the heating for a week or so and turn it over in every direction daily. If it is possible to screw it open without damaging parts that's even better.

If it still not working after that, than you have little to loose and definitively screw it open, it might contain a little fuse that's blown.. If you find this fuse and you're not sure it's blown, take it out wrap it in a tiny piece of alu foil and place it back. Than if it switches on, find a new fuse and your good to go again.
Google fuse images, you'll find different possible models used in electronics, so you know what to look for.. :)

As far is my technical knowledge goes, there likely aint much in the kessils that suffers fatal burn damage from falling in the water and switch it on wett. If it shortcuts the PSU switches off.. It might just be a fuse. If it doesn't contain one as aqaurium light, than Kessil should realy think twice redesigning their product considering the cash involved.

I forgot to say...I bought elodea(egeria densa), ha, ha. I haven't had this plant for eternity...I am going to try it floating in the tank, see if the hungry fish are going to shred it apart like they did to the rest of the plants...I can actually plant it in the hanging baskets instead. There's just one surviving anubias I put on top of a standing driftwood. Although it suffered some damage, the fish aren't that keen on eating plants from near the surface. The dwarf pink beckettii petchii crypts in the hanging baskets are also surviving the carnage..

The Kessil still has condensation inside the glass...I won't try it again until all that is gone.

There is still no sign of the other light, with the weather conditions going on...The clown loaches have been out all the time these days.....They seem really happy in the darkness :p

I was going to purchase the black kuhli loaches the other day but it was too cold so I'll hold on for a while...I don't really need them :confused:;)

The little harlequin rasboras have been growing well. Now I can clearly see full bellies and they look more solid from above, not like faint tiny lines anymore...

Yesterday I was watching the tank in the evening when I saw the denison barbs fighting over something invisible on the sand. They rarely go near the bottom but this time several heads bunched together were trying to grab something from the floor. I hadn't fed since early morning so it wasn't food. Then I see two of my corys flying around the tank, eventually getting into a T-position. I did see them spawn a couple of weeks back but I never saw where the eggs were laid.

There isn't much decor in the tank Previously my corys loved the big anubias, powerheads and the glass, and even floating plants...now I've no idea where the eggs are laid. Anyway, I think that's what the denison barbs were fighting over..cory eggs that perhaps fell on the floor. I wish I could save a few as I'd want to grow a new generation from my hybrid corys but I'd have to pay more attention to the tank, react fast and collect the eggs straight way, otherwise they get gobbled up immediately in a community tank...I remember in the past I stayed like a tool holding a plastic cup over the freshly laid eggs to protect them from the other fish, and even the corys, until the are hard enough to be transferred. If you try moving them too early, they fall apart..

The Aqua qube has finally been sent out....That means the earliest next week...

The Kessil is slowly drying, some water left still. It may not work ever at all but I won't try until its completely dry...

The fish are loving it but I've started to worry about the plants, especially the palm I moved from the window sill as it's not getting much natural light and it was already in a bad condition...

My best advice to recover wet electrical equipment is to dismantle it as much as you can, put it in a container, cover it with rice and leave it for a couple of days... (yes you read that right, I did write rice!)

The rice will absorb all the moisture it can possibly find, and rice dust is not too bad for electrical devices. I've recovered a couple smartphones that ended in the pool this way.

Today when doing a water change on the round pond I noticed I had forgotten to plug one of the heaters last week....No issues as the other was on...

I also finally cleaned the front glass of the hillstream tank, lol.....There's a hillstream on the picture right down on the substrate in front of the crypt in the middle. Tiny, tiny fish...1 inch perhaps...

20180311_194508.jpg

They sift through sand!!!

And some shrimp enjoying algae left overs...

20180311_185610.jpg

Pair of big eyes, lol

20180311_185602.jpg

20180311_185558.jpg

Straight after I cleaned the algae, the front of the tank got covered in shrimp fighting for it :) Look at the red carpet, lol

20180311_184958.jpg

Back